Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP backup problem with new drive

by mercm3 / November 30, 2008 5:13 PM PST

I just replaced my old 250gb drive with a new 1TB drive, i used the seagate discwizard to copy my old drive to my new drive(samsung). For some reason every time I try and backup any data on my tb drive using the XP backup utility it starts then suddenly reboots. Anyone have any advice on this issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP backup problem with new drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP backup problem with new drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP backup problem
by Kees Bakker / November 30, 2008 6:06 PM PST

Only questions at the moment, no advice yet. The answers might be clear to YOU, but please remember WE don't know unless you tell us.

1. What program do you use to backup?
2. Can you fully access the drive (put files on it, delete files) using My Computer or Windows Explorer?
3. What version of Windows XP do you have (like Pro SP1 or Home SP3)?
4. Can you see anything about the error in event viewer (after the reboot)?
5. What does chkdsk say about the drive?

Kees

Collapse -
more info
by mercm3 / November 30, 2008 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Re: XP backup problem

Here is more info
1. What program do you use to backup?
XP backup program
2. Can you fully access the drive (put files on it, delete files) using My Computer or Windows Explorer?
yes drive seems fully functional
3. What version of Windows XP do you have (like Pro SP1 or Home SP3)?
Windows XP media center xp3
4. Can you see anything about the error in event viewer (after the reboot)?
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xe2d7fa38, 0xe2d7fa58, 0x0c040601). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120108-02.dmp.

5. What does chkdsk say about the drive?
drive seems fine with checkdsk

also I don't know if this has anything to do with problem but I noticed after swapping out to bigger drive the drive shows after all the other drives in explorer not before like it used to display.

Collapse -
Re: bugcheck 0x00000019
by Kees Bakker / December 1, 2008 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: more info

I googled the above XP BUGCHECK 0X0000019 for you. A lot of very interesting, although rather ununderstandable results. The main feeling that I got is that it is a difficult error. Read http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t107577.html for example. It turned out to be the Kaspersky/Comodo combination on that particular machine; both, however, are much used and respectable programs so it's unlike that these programs are always incompatible.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic94820.html seems like yours. It clearly shows curiously the cloning program could be the culprit. It makes a not so perfect clone. It seems nobody knows why.
If this is applicable, just do a clean install of Windows XP on your new hard disk, then copy all your data from the old one onto it. That would be a rather simple solution.

Kees

Collapse -
thanks for all the help everyone
by mercm3 / December 1, 2008 8:23 AM PST

the link given by Kees gave me the answer. Thanks everyone for all the help. It was the cloning program creating some invalid storage volumes. Deleting storage volumes and having windows re-install them fixed it.

Collapse -
Your fix with the B/U problem
by laserwiz / January 2, 2009 2:52 PM PST

Hello,
I'm having the same problem you had with using Microsoft's back-up utility after upgrading to a larger drive and using Seagate's SW that shipped with the drive to clone my old HDD. Could you please elaborate on how you fixed the problem?

I'm not as astute on computer problems as many of the members using this site and could use a step by step procedure as to how you performed the following:

"Deleting storage volumes and having windows re-install them fixed it."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?