Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

xp antivirus2010 virus, help needed please help

by chad11950 / February 26, 2010 10:26 AM PST

I got a virus, av.exe, or xp Antivirus 2010. I went to task manager and stopped it from running then searched for av.exe and deleted the 2 eiles that i found for it, one in prefetch and one in the application data file. Then I could not open any executable files, nothing on my desktop. I get the OPEN WITH screen. I downloaded the anti malware mbam.exe and followed the forum instructions to get it to run and this did not help, although i could not update it once I downloaded it because of the same problem of getting the OPEN WITH screen. I cannot open ie, I got here by using aol. I tried to run system restore and it won't open either, I get the same OPEN WITH screen.
I have windows xp. I am extremely frustrated and desperate for help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp antivirus2010 virus, help needed please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp antivirus2010 virus, help needed please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Next Steps
by kenzo121 / February 26, 2010 8:26 PM PST

Perform a system restore to restore the computer to an earlier date.
Then download and install malware bytes and run.
After that download and run the Kaspersky rescue disk. You need to burn the disk as an image. Boot off the disk and update the virus definitions before you run a scan. Just to warn you a scan can take some time.

Collapse -
to kenzo121
by chad11950 / February 27, 2010 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Next Steps

As I stated above I cannot open system restore, I get the OPEN WITH window. I do not have even the slightest idea what a Kaspersky rescue disk is. What is it and where would I get one?
Thank you for your reply.

Collapse -
Re: rescue disk and exe-file error
by Kees Bakker / February 27, 2010 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: to kenzo121
Collapse -
Try a repair install of Windows XP
by kenzo121 / February 27, 2010 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: to kenzo121
Collapse -
2010 issue
by Phil Crase / February 26, 2010 11:08 PM PST

Put the updated version of Malwarebytes on a flash drive (loaded from a CLEAN computer), boot the infected system into safe mode, load the malwarebytes from the flash drive, run it and see if that doesn't do the trick. Good luck!

Collapse -
to Phil Crase
by chad11950 / February 27, 2010 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: 2010 issue

I was able to run Malwarebytes by following the forum instructions and changing it from a .exe file to a .com file, however the scan found nothing. I'm guessing thats because I had already deleted the av.exe files. I did try starting in safe mode and could still not open or run any executables. The only thing i can open is aol. So, I'm still stuck.
Thank you for your reply.

Collapse -
Try this possible fix.
by Tufenuf / February 27, 2010 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: to Phil Crase

chad11950, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer to download the reg file fix onto a CD, thumb drive, or floppy and transfer the file to the problem computer then run it.

After that .reg file is merged into the registry successfully restart your computer.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?