Question

XP antiVirus software removal when I can't get onto desktop

Hi.

I am tearing my hair out with this damned virus.

All of a sudden I had a pop up saying I have no firewall and then the PC shut down. When I rebooted it wen to the desktop background but would not show any icons or my taskbar/start button.

It allowed me to open task manager so I tried to run firefox. I then had a message pop up saying I need to run this scan with XP antiVirus software. Straight waya I smelled a rat so I searched online.

I found someone had a registration code we could all use which would activate it and then you can get rid of it using several solutions.

The problem I have is I cannot do anything other than open task manager so I have no way of downloading any software to get rid of it.

I have seen people saying that oyu can download onto another computer and then put it on a USB stick and then simply install it on the infected PC.

How can I do this if I have no way of installing anything?

I have tried booting up in safe mode but I still get no desktop and can only open task manager.

I have had a smiliar virus in the last 6 months and managed to get rid of it but that one allowed me to get onto my desktop, it just wouldn't allow me to open any programs.

The annoying thing is these viruses are nothing to do with me, it's my housemate who is downloading dodgy stuff and then I have to sort it out as he wouldn't know where to even start. I think I need to put my PC in my bedroom from now on ha ha.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I need to tell you anything else then please let me know.

Oh, I'm on XP.

Thanks
Mark

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: XP antiVirus software removal when I can't get onto desktop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP antiVirus software removal when I can't get onto desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Virus removal - fixncr

The suggestion is to download fixncr.reg to a USB drive, but when I try to do that it just downloads directly into the registry. Any ideas?

- Collapse -
Answer
Removal of XP Anti-Virus

Mark..

Follow (ALL) the instructions and use the recommended tools in the below removal guide. Note #2 states:

"It is possible that the infection you are trying to remove will not allow you to download files on the infected computer. If this is the case, then you will need to download the files requested in this guide on another computer and then transfer them to the infected computer. You can transfer the files via a CD/DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive."

The rogue goes by different names, one of which is XP Anti-Virus. Do not click on any ads. Scroll down to where you see, "Automated Removal Instructions for XP Anti-Virus 2011, Vista Total Security 2011, and Win 7 Home Security using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware".

Remove XP Anti-Spyware 2011, Vista Security 2011, and Win 7 Internet Security 2011 (Uninstall Guide)

Let us know if you run into any problems along the way.
Carol

- Collapse -
Thanks but....

Hi.

There is an immediate problem with that. I cannot open any files on a removable device as I have no way of opening the drive on the infected PC because I have no desktop.

On the removal guide it says to simply open the file within the removable drive. I will not be able to get past that point unless there is another way of opening a file on a removable disc without a desktop.

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
Try system restore from command prompt
- Collapse -
Answer
Since You Can Open Task Manager...

From the black screen, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Task Manager.. Click on "File" in the upper left, choose "New Task(Run)", then type "Explorer.exe" in the "Open" line and press the "Enter" key.

If your desktop loads, then the problem occurred because the malware caused an issue with explorer.exe and the registry keys associated with it.. If that's the case, then RIGHT click on the link below, choose "Save As", then save the file to your desktop.. Once there, double click on it and choose "yes/OK", when it asks to "merge" the file to your registry. This registry file should fix the basic windows shell registry keys.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/shell.reg

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Answer
XP antivirus software removal

Use Registry Booster , fix all the registry error , then install Nortan or AVG antvirus scan for the issue , if nothing support ,try to format the xp

- Collapse -
No, we would NOT suggest

Registry Booster, not any so-called Registry Cleaner/Fixer programs.

The risks are too great.

Mark

CNET Forums