Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xp and media home hangs on bootup

by dnev / March 5, 2007 12:03 PM PST

Strange similar behavior with 3 separate customers over a 4 day period.

customer 1: hpze5700 pavilion (xp pro)
customer 2: gateway 300s (xp home)
customer 3: hp media desktop (media home)

all clients woke up and turned on their cpu only to have it hang on the 'black screen' just after the windows splash screen but just before the logon window. None of the <f8> options work. I booted with a genuine xp disk to drop to recovery console and performed various chkdsk /r commands as well as fixboot and fixmbr - no change.
There are no errors, no blue screens, nothing to followup on. I even loaded the laptops hard drive into a tower as a secondary primary and scanned for pests viruses and the ilk - for the most part -clean
Has anyone seen this before, thnx -Ev

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp and media home hangs on bootup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp and media home hangs on bootup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The nature of pests..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 9:40 PM PST

Can be OS damage and leave no trace. Does an OS reinstall or restore CDs work?

Bob

Collapse -
3 different systems with the same undocumented symptoms
by dnev / March 6, 2007 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: The nature of pests..

Thnx for the reply Bob, yes an o/s reinstall does work but it is the data that i'm concerned about. Even more so, it's the fact that I have 3 different systems (all clients unrelated) with apparently the same symptoms over a few days. It's very suspect to me.

Collapse -
Very suspect failure on booting xp
by dnev / March 6, 2007 1:35 AM PST

Here is what happens before the windows splash screen, I get the...

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer..."

I've tried all f8 options with no luck. but when the Windows xp screen is loading with the little blue indicator moving from left to right I have hard drive activity. Then just as the screen goes black before the final logon screen, the hd activity light starts to flicker from it's solid booting state and then to off. It then just stays there for hours until I power off.

I have 3 unrelated customers with the exact same scenario with the same point of failure and no error messages. Yes it is possible that all three customers have hard drive that have failed, but with the same scenarios? I find that unlikely. Let me know what you think, thnx.

Collapse -
How I save the files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2007 2:02 AM PST

My best trick is to pull the drive and put the new drive in. The OS is restored and I'll either put the drive in as slave for desktops or laptop drives go into some USB drive case.

Recovery of files is a snap then. Email can be tricky and the exact method varies with the email client. Typing OLEXP BACKUP into google.com gives us the most common articles about that one.

When the client yelps about the cost of the drives that gives me a measure of how much they value their files.

Bob

Collapse -
re 3 different systems hanging after splash screen
by kulakat / March 12, 2007 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: How I save the files.

I also have several customers machines with same symptoms - however a repair of xp did not fix problem. Format and reinstall for all.
No hardware faults or viruses found.
Now I've just got a 4th and was wondering if any other solutions out there?

Collapse -
3 diffenent systems hanging after splash screen
by dnev / March 12, 2007 12:24 PM PDT

Bob, first of all let me say thnx for your suggestions, I'm sure I will use them sometime in the near future.

Kulakat, I have not found a solution as yet but I did speak with microsoft and although they did not admit it, the technician did elude to the fact that this can happen if an update was interrupted or not completed. I 've been involved with computers for over 20 years and you get a feel for when something is afoul... This one stinks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.