Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

(xp) add or remove programs

by gil2 / May 3, 2005 2:00 AM PDT

i have xp home edition
whin i go to my add or remove programs,it only showes programs starting with the letter"a".
why are all the other programs missing?
please help if you can.
gil2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (xp) add or remove programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (xp) add or remove programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
add/remove programs
by Jebba / May 3, 2005 3:11 AM PDT

hmmm... I have never encountered that problem before, and I couldn't tell you what to try, I'm assuming that you tried scrolling up and down the list, if it doesn't show all the programs, and you're looking for a specific one, look on the hard drive in the "program files" folder and you will find most (if not all of) the programs installed on your computer

-Jebba <><

Collapse -
I have a similar problem.
by dkathrens77 / May 3, 2005 5:45 AM PDT

I started my own thread before I saw yours. My issue is similar to yours -- I am a new Windows XP user too, after years of Windows 98SE.

My computer came bundled with some software already installed. SOME OF THOSE programs appear in the Add/Remove programs list, but NONE of the ones I installed myself.

I wiped my 80 gig hard drive, partitioned it, and used the HP System Restore disk that came with my HP laptop
when I was done. I re-installed my own programs too.

ONE TIME and ONE TIME ONLY, I went to the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel and all programs were listed!

The next time I visited, it was back to its original incomplete list of programs. It's been that way ever since.

I didn't like the answer I got in my thread. Maybe I'll get one here that I like better...

Dennis

Collapse -
Did some surfing -- LOOK AT THIS!!!
by dkathrens77 / May 4, 2005 10:27 AM PDT
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7542

This is a link to where I found a discussion of the Add/Remove Programs applet (appwiz.cpl) in Windows XP

OK, you said you only had the programs starting with letter 'A', right? Me too.

But look at the size of the vertical scroll bar at the right side of the window. I'll bet like mine, it's TINY.

That means that the window is very very long and you can only see a small part of it.

The post on Elder Geek said "my programs were there, only WAY DOWN".

There is a big gap of NOTHING between your A programs and the rest of them. Drag the scroll bar to the bottom of the window to see what they mean.

There was an offending entry in the list of installed programs in the Registry. Some AutoDesk product (they make AutoCAD and AutoCAD Lite too -- and what do you know? I have AutoCAD Lite installed!)

Read over the posting on Elder Geek. Apparently the fix is to 'fix' the Registry listing and the big gap of NOTHING in the list will go away.

I'll tinker with this and report back to you.

Dennis
Collapse -
I tried it and it works
by dkathrens77 / May 5, 2005 9:33 AM PDT

I am here to report success!

I edited the DisplayIcon subkey in the Registry

HKEY/Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Uninstall/AutoCADLite

In this Uninstall folder (in the Registry)there is a subfolder for each program that gets installed in Windows XP.

The folder for (in my case) AutoCAD Lite contained a key called DisplayIcon. The value is a pathname to a file called aclt.exe, which is the main part of AutoCAD lite.

EXE files often have icons embedded in them, often more than one, so in this Registry key, you specify the "ordinal position" of the desired Display Icon like this:

AutoCADLite/DisplayIcon: C:/Program Files/AutoCAD Lite/aclt.exe, -1

This entry is automatically created by the installer program that installs AutoCAD Lite. Apparently it does it WRONG.

OK, it installed OK under Windows 98, but apparently it's not the OK way under Windows XP???

Following the advice in the post on ElderGeek, I started experimenting with the last bit that specifies the icon.

In my case, there are only 2 icons embedded in aclt.exe
I removed the ", -1" from the end of this value and exited the Registry (it saves automatically).

Lo and behold, my Add/Remove Programs list is fixed!

Hope this helps. KUDOS to the folks at ElderGeek.

Dennis

Collapse -
ha dkathrens77
by gil2 / May 6, 2005 1:37 AM PDT

im at work so i haven't tried your fix yet,
but it makes since to me because i installed autocad just recently.
ill try it and get back to you.
tanks for all of the replies
gil2

Collapse -
Add/Remove
by billzhills / May 3, 2005 6:47 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.