Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP/98 networking issue

by dirtyrich / February 28, 2004 5:11 AM PST

I recently upgraded one of my two 98se comps in my home to XP. They're connected through a Linksys router, and both can access the internet, do email, and all that stuff. The problem is that they can't see each other for file and print sharing.
I have sharing enabled and stuff shared, they both have the same workgroup name, and I've disabled the XP's firewall.
Any ideas? I'd be extremely grateful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP/98 networking issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP/98 networking issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:XP/98 networking issue
by Michael Geist / February 28, 2004 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: XP/98 networking issue

1) Try the Search feature from either machine, first using the computer name then the IP address
2) Check the IP and Subnet addresses, they should be in the same range.
3) Try Netview and Ping from a command prompt.

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP/98 networking issue
by grich962 / February 29, 2004 10:49 PM PST

XP has a network setup wizard for your situaltion. It will work as I used it for my network. 1 Computer XP 1 computer 98 and the other 98SE

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP/98 networking issue
by dirtyrich / March 1, 2004 4:10 AM PST

Michael, how do you ping?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:XP/98 networking issue
by Michael Geist / March 1, 2004 4:30 AM PST

Start/Run/cmd. In the DOS-like box that appears type in ping 192.168.1.xxx or whatever the address of the other computer is. You can also use the computers name instead of the IP address. If you do not receive a positive response, then networking is not working.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:XP/98 networking issue
by dirtyrich / March 8, 2004 12:13 AM PST

They'll ping each other, but again, the file sharing is working 1/2 of the time (with only the XP machine seeing the 98), and print sharing not working at all. If it helps, when I got to Network Places in XP, the 98 is put in the internet zone, not the local network.

I'm guessing that I'll just have to remove all network settings and start from scratch...so what I'd like to know is step by step instructions on how to set up an XP and 98 machine on a network through a Linksys router. I've seen people swearing by XP's Network Setup Wizard, and others telling me it won't work. Anyone who has done this or has seen it done, please reply.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:XP/98 networking issue
by Michael Geist / March 9, 2004 8:42 AM PST

You have confirmed that the hardware part of the network is correctly set and operating:

1) NICs are lit and flashing during operation?
2) Cables are new or home made? (Home made cables can give you that 1/2 of the time networking)
3) Routers firmware is updated?

On the software side I would:

1) Not use the Network setup wizard in XP(seems to cause more issues then it solves).
2) Make sure both PCs are on the same workgroup
3) Make sure both PCs are set to obtain their IPs automatically
4) File and Print sharing is enabled on both machines
5) Some resources are set to share
6) Your local printer is shared and the client computer is set to use a Network Printer when you run the Add Printer wizard.

Collapse -
by David Chan / March 9, 2004 9:13 AM PST

"Network Places in XP, the 98 is put in the internet zone, not the local network."
Here is likely your problem.
All PCs should show in the Network for you to access them.
It may be a good idea to start over.
Make sure you use only TCP/IP protocol and don't add NetBEUI to the Win98 PCs.

On my home network I can even access PCs that are not on the same Workgroup and share files without any problems.
For example my son's PC is on a different workgroup than my three other PCs but on the same Linksys Router and we can share files without any problems.

Try and add a common user on all PCs or when you access the XP PC from your Win98 PC sign in as the Administrator or user with Administrator privileges.

Review these links:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813936
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/usingwindows/work/articles/906Jun/Shareprinter.asp

Collapse -
by dirtyrich / March 9, 2004 9:08 PM PST

Thank you very much, I'm gonna try it again.

Collapse -
Re:XP/98 networking issue
by dirtyrich / March 9, 2004 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: XP/98 networking issue

Anyone?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!