Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

.xml files -- are they safe to remove from temp folder?

I did a search of my PC for *tmp files and it showed about 60 of these files in my Temp folder. Should they be there?

Shirley,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: .xml files -- are they safe to remove from temp folder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: .xml files -- are they safe to remove from temp folder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Like any file ...

In reply to: .xml files -- are they safe to remove from temp folder?

in c:\windows\temp, the answer is that is safe to delete them. There aren't many programs nowadays writing to c:\temp (that's more typical for old MS-DOS-programs, but if they do they know the rules and you can delete them also.

Don't you have a Recycle Bin as a safeguard against mistakes?

Kees

Collapse -
Yes, I have a Recycle Bin, Kees

In reply to: Like any file ...

but what concerned me (and I guess I should have explained this) is that when I opened one of the files I got a warning that stated "To help protect your computer, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer". A better question might have been "what are these files". A Google search didn't come up with anything that I could understand, so I thought I would ask here before I deleted them.

There are so many files in my Temp folder with extensions other than ".tmp". For instance, cfg, exe, dll, log, dat, lock, chw, & mfx.

I will delete a few at a time to the Recycle Bin, since you said everything in that folder can safely be deleted.

Thank you for your time and help.

Shirley,

Collapse -
Re: temp files

In reply to: Yes, I have a Recycle Bin, Kees

Shirley,

It's safe to delete everything from c:\windows\temp, whatever type of file it is. In fact, it's a good idea to do it regularly, either manually or by running a program like ccleaner (it's free, and quite a lot of people on this forum use and recommend it). It uses disk space, makes scandisk and defrag run longer, may hide viruses and impact the performance of your system a little bit.

The easiest way of doing it manually is
- select detail view
- sort on date (today on top)
- select uppermost file created yesterday (files from today might be in use)
- shift-end to extend the selection all down to the oldest file
- del to delete to the recycle bin, or shift-del to delete permanently

Some programs (like Turbozip Express) don't create files, but whole folders in this temp folder. Those can be deleted also.

I've never never had a problem by deleting these files.

Very good you care about your machine like this.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: temp files

In reply to: Re: temp files

I do have and use CCleaner, but I didn't have "temp files" checked off. Following you advice I ran CCleaner and checked this off. It cleaned out everything in the Temp folder and I'm not having any problems with my machine. Happy

Thank you very much, and also for the instructions on how to manually delete files. This will come in handy when I want to delete files manually. I was doing it one by one and what a pain that was.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Shirley

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome.

Collapse -
Kees, or anyone, another question, please.

I just installed some critical updates from the Windows Update site and when I checked Add/Remove Programs to make sure they were installed, I discovered that all of my previous updates (80 to be exact) were no longer listed. I know they were there on 12/16/06 when I did the monthly updates. When I cleaned out the temp files could CCleaner have removed them? In CCleaner/Advanced I DO NOT have "Hotfix Uninstallers" checked off.

I can't think of any other reason for them to removed.

According to my installation history at Windows Update, they are all installed, and Belarc Advisor also lists them as being installed.

Is there a way to get them listed again in Add/Remove Programs, and is there a way to verify that they are indeed installed on this machine?

I checked C:/Windows and the long list of updates that once appeared in blue are no longer there.

Would appreciate your assistance.

Shirley

Collapse -
Just A Thought ...

In reply to: Kees, or anyone, another question, please.

After opening Add/Remove Programs, do you have the "Show UPdates" box CHECKED at the top of the window?

In addition, since those updates listed in the C\Windows folder are normally "hidden" files, have you checked the "Folder Options" to confirm that you have "Show hidden files and folders" CHECKED and UNCHECKED "Hide Protected operating system files? (RIGHT click on Start, choose "Explore". When the Explorer window opens, click on "Tools" in the upper left, then choose "Folder Options", then the "View" tab. Scroll down and select the options I've mentioned above.

If the above steps have been taken and you still aren't seeing the updates, you should probably visit the Windows Update site to verify they are still installed. CCleaner can do some unwanted things.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hi Grif

In reply to: Just A Thought ...

Yes, I did have the "Show Updates" box CHECKED.

In "Folder Options", I also had the "Show hidden files and folders" box CHECKED. but "Hide Protected operating system files" was CHECKED so I UNCHECKED it and Opened Add/Remove Programs, with "Show Updates" box CHECKED, and the updates still aren't listed.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I already verififed that Windows Update shows that they are installed.

I checked C:\Windows again and the update I installed today is listed and it is also listed in Add/Remove Programs. I noticed this folder right above the update that I installed today and opened it: C\Windows $hf_mig$. It listed all of the 80 updates that were in my Add/Remove Programs folder. So I feel better now seeing that they are installed. Is there anyway to get them back into Add/Remove Programs, without uninstalling and reinstalling?
Thanks for your help.

Shirley

Collapse -
Two Ways I Can Think Of...

In reply to: Hi Grif

Although I don't use CCleaner, it should have an "undo" option which would allow you to restore the changes it made.

Or..

You should be able to use System Restore to go back to a time when the listings were still there.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
One way worked. :)

In reply to: Two Ways I Can Think Of...

Hi Grif:

Your "undo" option got this old brain thinking.

CCleaner only makes backups (undo) if you make changes to the registry. I went back and viewed the backups in My Documents folder and sure enough, on one of the backups all of the Hot Fixes, etc. were listed as being REMOVED. I reinstalled this backup and everything is back to normal.

This backup was dated 12/18/06, right after I had installed Windows monthly updates. I must have checked off "installer" under Issues/Registry Integrity, and ran a scan and deleted everything it found. Since you don't use CCleaner you probably don't know what I'm talking about, LOL, but anyone that does use it and is reading this will understand.

Thank you so much for your time and help. As always you have come to my rescue.

Have a great day, as I know I will.

Shirley

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.