Cameras forum

General discussion

xmas ideas

by hamblda / November 8, 2010 8:29 AM PST

Dear Snapshot/others:
All cameras from last year are excellent but as I try to figure out this year I thought I could research myself and it would be easy. Daughter always admired sisters canon TSi but never wanted that size camera, so I figured maybe I would look for great picture quality,fast shooting, a small zoom camera. I could not find one that had fast shot to shot, low light, zoom. My budget is not high and she did not like large, any ideas. My youngest daughter got the sony TS1 and she loved it, my middle daughter coveted it whenever she put her Canon down, any camera have the features of that small camera besides the new SonyTS5. Thanks for all the years of help, one daughter in Digital Photography/Art in college and 1 in Graphic Arts.hamblda

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xmas ideas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xmas ideas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
new camera
by hamblda / November 15, 2010 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: xmas ideas

Has anyone tried out the Sd4500? It seems to have a lot of good features.
Thanks

Collapse -
hard one
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / November 15, 2010 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: xmas ideas

From stevesdigicams.com(a very reputable site) it seems the SD4500 might be the camera you're looking for. It does seem Canon cut some corners on the glass but what can you expect out of a superzoom compact that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. To get better glass and image quality you'd pay more and get much less zoom. It's all about compromises with cameras.

Collapse -
now where do I go
by hamblda / November 16, 2010 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: hard one

after posting asking about sd4500 found a whole bunch of negative comments including slow, I then found a bunch of good comments on hx5v sony, but someone else suggested S95 which was my first choice at first but the burst rate, sweep panorama and some of the other features pushed me now to Sony, the S95 is only 4x, really trying to get fast shot to shot, good quality pictures, newer features,soom zoom, good for low light, now not sure,any opinions?

Collapse -
depends on what's more important
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / November 16, 2010 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: now where do I go

If image quality and low light ability are extremely important then choose the S95. If the other features are more important then look at the Sony.

Collapse -
Split the difference
by PistonCupChampion / November 16, 2010 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: now where do I go

Perhaps you might be interested in the Sony WX1 of WX5. It has the interesting features of the HX5, but has a lens closer in brightness to the S95. The WX1/5 has an f/2.4 lens. It's a half stop smaller than the S95, but a full stop brighter than the HX5.

Collapse -
ok
by hamblda / November 18, 2010 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Split the difference

is this a new camera or the wx1 of last fall 2009 or the wx5?, would she be missing something by buying an older camera,does the s95 have fast shot to shot? Won't help in low light if can't shoot fast for show choir pictures, hockey indoors, football outdoors, not sure

Collapse -
Sony WX cameras
by PistonCupChampion / November 18, 2010 3:09 PM PST
In reply to: ok

The WX5 is the replacement for the WX1. The newer camera has more pixels, which is not important, and a sharper LCD, which is a minor advantage. The Sonys are a touch faster in shutter lag than the Canon, and can shoot a burst of shots at 10 frames per second.

Collapse -
any opinion
by hamblda / November 21, 2010 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Sony WX cameras

was at Nwestern/illinois football game at wrigley yesterday and from 30 rows out daughter using her sd1200 with good results but she said zoom would be nice but not size and weight, saw for first time nikom L110 any one have an opinion on this camera, reviews were mixed on low light and speed, some got good pictures by using settings? still like sonyhx5v but not sure, would nikon not be good for the indoor hockey showchoir pics, thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?