Computer Help forum

Question

Xfer OS and files from old HDD to SSD.Also From AMD to Intel

by Dapperdan516 / February 26, 2015 10:07 PM PST

Hello!

I ordered parts online the other night to make a new desktop. Problem is I cannot find my windows 7 disk and I did not nor do I want to spend the money to buy a new one. I'm assuming my best option would be to transfer my information from my HDD to my new SSD. I just don't know how to do this properly. There are plenty of videos online that show how to plug up the SSD, download some program and copy to a new SSD. My main issue is as follows, and none of these videos cover this issue that I know of.

My old system ran on a AMD Phenom II, with a Gigabyte MOBO, and a Raedon HD 6700.
My new system is going to be a i5, with an ASUS MOBO, and an EVGA Nvidia gpu.

First of all, is it even possible to keep the bulk of my current HDD information and transfer it to the SSD, plug it up make a new adjustments or whatever and it works fine?

Should I invest in a new copy of windows and start from scratch because the task before me is is fu***** monumental???!?!?!

Should I pay some dude at a sketchy computer store down the street to do this for me for under $50 bucks if he will accept that as pay?? Because I wouldn't pay more than that because then I could buy the new windows 8.

Obviously I don't know what to do. I should be getting all the parts in today, I'll assemble the new machine tonight, hopefully I'll have some answers on here later today so that I can know what steps to take as far as getting my new system up and running.

Thank you all for your time and any suggestions, seriously any suggestions...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xfer OS and files from old HDD to SSD.Also From AMD to Intel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xfer OS and files from old HDD to SSD.Also From AMD to Intel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Intel to AMD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 26, 2015 10:46 PM PST

I don't think you can transfer the OS to your new PC by just copying. It's necessary to reinstall.

If you had a retail version, you can download a replacement install disk from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery. It should accept the original license key (use Belarc Advisor if you can't find the the original that came with the disk).

If that won't work, you'll need to buy another OS, be it Windows 7 or 8, or install Linux.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
It's quite a bit of work. Well discussed too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2015 11:43 PM PST
Collapse -
Ok so,,
by Dapperdan516 / February 27, 2015 1:05 AM PST

Ok so if I install windows from scratch via cd on my new ssd drive, can I just hook my hdd drive up to a seprate drive port and pull things from it even though it's got a whole seprate instance of windows from a different processor brand? If this doesn't make sense let me know and I will try to clarify.

Collapse -
Files can be moved like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Ok so,,

The OS and drivers however are not so lucky. Remember you didn't define "things" so I'll define this as files and folders. Programs due to a decision in 1995 are rarely copied. Almost all are installed.
Bob

Collapse -
things
by Dapperdan516 / February 27, 2015 2:24 AM PST

By things I mean games, picture/movie editing software, movies.. that's pretty much it. The only reason I'd rather just transfer them from hard drive to hard drive is that I think it would take a lot longer to download them offline, but I could be wrong.

Collapse -
Games could be programs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: things

Again, due to a change in Windows in 1995 programs are rarely backed up except to have the install handy.

Steam has a way to save downloaded games so you would follow their instruction just like the other games tell you.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: things
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: things

The games and software are best reinstalled from their original installation disk or program, or a later version of that.

Movies can be copied. But if you keep that old hard disk in the new PC, there's even no need to copy them, since you can view them from the d:-drive (that old disk) just as easy as from the c:-drive (the new disk with your new Windows).
You can keep using the same backup medium for those movies as you do now.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.