HolidayBuyer's Guide

Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Xbox trade in value

by adeed / August 4, 2006 9:52 AM PDT

Well since I'm going to get a new game console(probably Xbox 360), i was planning on selling my original xbox.

My original Xbox is a special edition halo version so it has a clear green outer plastis shell.

I was wondering where i would get the most money from it, and how much money or store credit i would get.

it would be great if i could get some suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xbox trade in value
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xbox trade in value
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm
by bevillan / August 5, 2006 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Xbox trade in value

Well the market has been pretty well saturated with Xbox's. You might want to look around eBay to see what some are selling for. I also suggest putting an ad on craigslist.com for the whole bundle and an asking price. You are not going to get more than $100 for the bundle of xbox with games/controllers probably.

Collapse -
Not Much
by chan680$ / August 9, 2006 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm

I got around $80 at EB for the regular console, two controllers, and two games. I think the console alone was about $30-40. Good luck though.

Collapse -
Trade in value
by golfnut247 / August 10, 2009 2:43 AM PDT

Hi,

if you go to NextWorth you do get $70 and more for your box. I traded in some iPods and games there; worked fine.

Collapse -
Since someone else
by Jimmy Greystone / August 10, 2009 11:16 AM PDT

Since someone else already revived this old thread, I'll just toss out this little nugget.

The original Xbox makes for an EXCELLENT little home theater PC. You will need to install either a modchip or a softmod of some kind, but if you're more or less done playing games with it, who cares? Once you get the mod installed, you put on a copy of XBMC. Finding the Xbox version is a little difficult, but if you do a search for "T3CH" you can find one.

The original Xbox has pretty much everything you need. It goes from off to ready to go in under 30 seconds, it has networking, surround sound capabilities, you have a multitude of options for connecting it to TVs, it uses relatively little power. There's an internal hard drive that you can use to store ripped copies of your DVD collection so you can preserve the discs. The only real drawbacks to the original Xbox is the hardware just isn't up to the task of 720p or 1080i decoding, but it can upmix almost any format to either of those resolutions. Microsoft should really consider removing the game playing capabilities from it, refresh the hardware to something a little more modern, and selling it as a HTPC. They would make a killing IMO.

The Xbox is really was quite the versatile little device. Pretty lackluster as a game console, but more than made up for by it's secondary possibilities by virtue of basically being a legacy free PC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.