Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Xbox or computer

by waggoner / September 5, 2009 5:50 PM PDT

My nephew has an Xbox 360 and is a keen gamer. He has mentioned that he would also like a gaming computer.
I have no interest in gaming and know little about it. However, I had thought an Xbox and a gaming computer did the same thing.

Please could anyone tell me, does one have an advantage over the other and is there any point in owning both?

Thanks, waggoner

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xbox or computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xbox or computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Everyone's right!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2009 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Xbox or computer

But look at the display the Xbox 360 is connected to. Often it's on some old TV and that may be why the big push for the gamer PC. My kid's game capable PCs are an old dual core Intel machine with some PCIe Nvidia 6600 256MB card and surprisingly he runs everything on that. Today such a machine could be dis'd by gamers but I just count my lucky stars he hasn't read gamer web sites telling him how archaic his machine is.

Back to the display. We upgraded the game room with a better display for the 360. It's some 21 inch HP connected with HDMI and no one complains about it at all. Far cheaper than getting a gamer PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Will update display
by waggoner / September 5, 2009 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Everyone's right!

Thanks Bob. The display is an old TV. I will treat him to a more up to date model with a larger screen.

Much appreciate the advice.

Waggoner

Collapse -
IMO
by Jimmy Greystone / September 5, 2009 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Xbox or computer

IMO, consoles are by far the way to go. While the gaming PC can have better quality graphics, you end up spending a small fortune in parts to keep up with games' increasing demands.

With a console, you buy one device that's good for at least 3 years, though lately console makers have been planning on much longer release cycles. But you buy a console, and every game with that console's logo is guaranteed to work. So you can spend more of your money on games and not on video cards, RAM, CPUs, and other things just needed to make the game run acceptably well.

Follow Bob's advice. A new TV/monitor to hook the 360 to will be vastly cheaper than a gaming PC in the long run. Just be sure to get something that can do 1080p (true 1080p... As in make sure the resolution on the box states 1920x1080) and it'll be a nice treat for everyone else as well.

Collapse -
Thanks
by waggoner / September 6, 2009 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: IMO

Thanks for the advice, will definitely stick with the Xbox360, will just get new TV.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!