General discussion

Xbox live lag time

I have an Xbox slim w/ built in N broadband and my wireless router is an N but the Xbox isnt recognizing it as N just as G. Sorry if my terminology is off. Any suggestions? thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Xbox live lag time
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Xbox live lag time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Most likely

Most likely you have some draft-N router, which doesn't implement the official 802.11n standard. Some routers can fix this with a simple firmware upgrade, but most are just designed to be shoved out the door, be on the market for 6-12 months, and then EOLd.

So, save yourself some money and just buy a patch cable to connect the Xbox to the router. Wireless is horrible for gaming. Just having a faster connection won't do anything to improve lag times, but a wired connection over wireless might.

- Collapse -
Awesome

Thanks alot. I'll give it a try

- Collapse -
one more question

Does it matter how long a cable is? Meaning if it's a longer cable does it lose any strength?

- Collapse -
For the most part

For the most part no. Technically the answer is yes, the longer the cable the more energy it takes to push the signal along the cable, but for something like online gaming, it's effectively a no difference sort of proposition. And you won't find ethernet cable over a certain length, because that is the maximum length you can have and still be guaranteed a particular theoretical maximum speed. I want to say it's something like 50 meters for Cat5e, but I honestly do not remember. It's quite a bit longer than you're likely going to need.

CNET Forums

Forum Info