Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Xbox 360 via component vs. HDMI

by cammbyjr / December 14, 2008 6:33 AM PST

Will there be a noticeable difference to a non-videophile on a 50" Sony SXRD from 10-12' away?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xbox 360 via component vs. HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xbox 360 via component vs. HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) No
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2008 8:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Well I respectively disagree
by stinman / December 14, 2008 9:18 AM PST

For the tv of yur size and you must get a good cable to notice the difference.The colors will be better and the noise in the background will be less with a good insulated cable,at least for me it is and I am by no means a video-phile,but I am somewhat picky at times.Now the sound will go out of your tv, "digital" to a AV receiver with a rca or optical cable from the back which ever way your Sony has,probably both.Run it to your AV receiver,thats what I do to get the best sound,with component you have to use the red and white analog which does not produce the best sound.If you do not have a AV receiver,then it does not matter.

Mark

Collapse -
That is a different issue
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2008 9:58 AM PST

That is a different issue: cable quality vs connection type. All things equal, if you're only comparing HDMI to component, very few people are going to notice a difference.

Also, every component cable set I've seen for the 360 has a toslink output on the side for surround sound. Except possibly for the cable set that comes with the 360. I'm too lazy to fish mine out right now to check, but you can always get a good quality set cheap from Monoprice that will have the toslink port. You can even get a toslink cable for pennies on the dollar compared to just about anywhere else. Stores love to gouge people on AV cables. A $100+ set of Monster brand cables are not going to be that much better than some you get get for about $15 shipped on Monoprice.

One thing I should probably note, some games will only allow you to access the 1080p resolution if you have an HDMI connection. There is absolutely no technical reason for this, it's purely a financial one. HDMI has a number of "safeguards" against tapping the signal for piracy reasons. It's trivially easy to get around, but it seems pretty clear that all the top executives in the entertainment industry lost touch with reality many years ago. I don't know if there's a huge difference between 1080i and 1080p since I don't have anything capable of either, but it's something to keep in mind.

Collapse -
yes they do
by stinman / December 15, 2008 1:23 AM PST

They do have a toslink hookup on the back of the 360 component cable,mine does.I used the component cable that came with mine first and the picture was great,most games ran at 1080,I guess,I did not know how to check.I first tried a cheaper hdmi cable and the colors were terrible,component was waay better.I then tried my mid price monster cable that I use for my HDCP coming off a HD4850 ATI video card for Blu-ray.I could actually see the difference,I have a 50' LG LEd LCD 120hz HDTV.As I stated the noise in the background was almost gone and the colors were more vibrant and the edges were cleaner.You stated that you did not have any way to test 1080p or 1080i.I have,a 50' and a 47' hdtv, there is some good cables on monoprice and cheap ones.You can find a cable to match a monster cable if you know how.If you got the cash,then buy one or else keep using the component cable.Either way you will still have fun!!HaHa

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?