Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Xbox 360 Chipset Question

by pizzaboxmac93-23170347319 / January 14, 2010 5:40 AM PST

Are the new ones (Jasper) more reliable than the old ones (Xenon & Zephyr)? And do Jasper Chipsets still get the RROD? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xbox 360 Chipset Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xbox 360 Chipset Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re
by SEOServicesSingapore / January 14, 2010 11:26 AM PST

I don't think so, the chip is not the main problem of RROD

Collapse -
Probably
by Jimmy Greystone / January 15, 2010 12:41 AM PST

Probably, but there's still a host of other problems with the 360 manufacturing.

The RRoD issue is more or less a thing of the past since the Falcon models came onto the scene a couple years ago. However, then you had the E74 error, optical drives crapping out right and left, drives leaving a nasty deep gouge in game discs, and issues with lines and other artifacts in the display.

By some estimates, as many as 1/3 of all 360 systems sold are defective. Just speaking for myself, I think I'm on console #3. First one worked fine for almost a year, then the optical drive would take longer and longer to recognize game discs. Console #2 suffered the same fate within 36 hours. Console #3 is still going strong, but I don't use it as much now that I've gotten a PS3.

I would strongly recommend you not throw out your 360 box, because Microsoft no longer sends you a box to ship the console to them in if you have issues. Also keep in mind that Microsoft generally doesn't repair your console, it just sends you a new/refurb unit. It takes about 2 weeks all told for them to get your console, get a new one ready to send to you, and handle all the paperwork of transferring the warranty, etc. So, if you have any custom bits to your console, be sure to remove them BEFORE you send it to MS. They will make an effort to send stuff back to you (I was hoping to get rid of the stupid headset that came with the Pro, and they sent it back to me) but they don't guarantee you'll ever see it again.

Collapse -
Yes
by Bam421 / January 17, 2010 12:26 PM PST

In general, yes. The new Xbox 360 chipsets are more reliable than the old ones. But it's not just the chipset that causes the RRoD, it's the construction.

The new chipsets produce less heat. Also, there was a problem with the solder which has since been fixed.

Yes, the 360 has a 1/3 failure rate. However, this figure also counts the old consoles with the Xenon/Zephyr chipset. One would think that newer chipsets have a drastically reduced failure rate.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by pizzaboxmac93-23170347319 / January 20, 2010 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

I kinda thought that the newer chipsets are better made than the older ones. Thanks!

Collapse -
Not better made
by Jimmy Greystone / January 21, 2010 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Not better made, so much as the primary source of the problem has been eliminated due to environmental factors.

It's sort of like people having lower cooling bills due to the weather being unseasonably cool, not because they did anything to improve the thermal efficiency of their home.

Collapse -
Da Box Heat
by nbase41 / January 21, 2010 6:57 AM PST

When the topic of Xbox 360's melting down is discussed, the lack of an offical solution to the problem always reflects poorly on McMicroSoft. So trying to fill the void, I have been looking at some YouTube videos and write-ups online about the available kooling-boxes using fuild mostly. Some internal & external in varying degrees, usually running tubes to cooling blocks over the processors. I see that there are claims of 50* degrees or more...
Any feedback on this would be great!

Skydive Naked,
Mark

Collapse -
Never ever mess with Xbox internals
by Bam421 / January 21, 2010 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: Da Box Heat

It voids your warranty and may hurt more than help. Even external ones can cause damage. They may keep more hot air inside of the Xbox. For that reason Microsoft will not service/replace any consoles with evidence that you used a third party cooling system. Besides, the new Xboxes are more than cool enough.

Collapse -
There Should Be A Law...
by nbase41 / January 21, 2010 10:30 AM PST

Seems to me that we should have the same "Lemon Laws" that cars and other products have...
As to hurting the Xbox by using a water-cooled system, the lack of a solution is the problem and just waiting for the next Error Screen is not an option, besides, a lot of folks don't have coverage or have used-up their service plans already and must try to save their existing rig!
Now if anything these systems extract heat via circulating fluids, which are housed outside the Xbox 360 itself, thus no bulky interior reservoirs.
I was really just requesting feedback from those with actual experience related to bringing down operation temps...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?