Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

xbox 360 acesssing disk....noisy

hi there,
i have noticed on my xbox when playing gta4 and gears of war i can hear the disk being acessed in the disk drive it is quite noisy, on halo 3 and oblivion i can hear nothing it makes no noise its not that bothering i was just wondering if anyone else knows if its suppose to be that noisy as long as it is normal i don't care about the noise could anyone help me with this its about as loud as my pc acessing a disk but would be so relived if anyone could confirm if there disk drive is quite noisy when acessing the disk and if possible explain why it is noiser on some games more than others

many thanks
Craig

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xbox 360 acesssing disk....noisy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xbox 360 acesssing disk....noisy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
May be normal

In reply to: xbox 360 acesssing disk....noisy

It may be normal, though not owning a 360, and having no interest in games with no real plot like GTA, I can't say for sure.

My guess would be it's just a matter of how the discs were mastered for the different games. Sometimes the developers spend a lot of time optimizing the file placement on the disc(s) to minimize loading times, and other times they'll just dump all the files onto the disc any which way. Games with deliberate file placement will likely be a lot quieter since the drive doesn't need to seek so much, and games where they just dumped all the files onto the disc in a haphazard sort of way, will require more seeking and thus make for a noisier experience.

That would be my guess anyway, even though I can't say as I really have all that much to back it up. But I would say that so long as it only seems to be specific games, and not all games, it's more likely normal than abnormal.

I know on my old PS2, the game Tales of the Abyss really grinds away at the drive, while most other games you can't really hear the drive over the cooling fan.

Collapse -
Normal. Varies with the game...

In reply to: xbox 360 acesssing disk....noisy

Collapse -
this is the noise

In reply to: Normal. Varies with the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DL9DS6gU64&feature=related

this is pretty much how it sounds could anyone confirm if this is normal if so then im happy and will just turn up the sound if not then im gonna get it fixed before it gets worse, i would be grateful if anyone can say if they experience this noise on certain games eg:gta4, gears of war

many thanks
Craig
Collapse -
(NT) Sounds normal to me.

In reply to: this is the noise

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Sounds normal to me.

thanks for your help, well im relived, many thanks
Craig

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.