Cameras forum

General discussion

www.usaphotonation.com, legit?

by dogstar101 / October 9, 2005 12:58 PM PDT

Hey anyone know anything about this company?
Some of their prices seem to good to be true, which always raises a red flag. Possible used repackaged stuff? I don't know but would love to know if anyone has used them and what their experience was like.

thanks!!

kc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: www.usaphotonation.com, legit?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: www.usaphotonation.com, legit?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
usa photo nation
by Rodax / October 9, 2005 2:07 PM PDT

I would avoid any online retailer whose website lacks a mailing address under their contact info. Online retailers practicing less than exemplary business methods often operate under numerous pseudonyms. Find out their mailing address and cross reference it to any other online seller. If you discover another name, check cnet for reviews of that name. Another red flag is if the retailer requires you to call them to confirm your order (that has already been purchased online with your credit card.) If this is the case I would cancel my order immediately and monitor my credit card activity/statement diligently.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If you have to ask, ...................
by Kiddpeat / October 9, 2005 2:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
Red Flags Everywhere
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 12:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
AVIOD this merchant
by jack20 / October 17, 2005 2:22 AM PDT

Last week I ordered a panasonic camcorder from them for $600.00. 3 days later, they call me with the HIGH pressured sales call (the bait and switch). Sales rep tried to sell me accessories that already came in the box for an extra $200.00. When I called him on this, he insisted this was the best deal I'd find anywhere. After 20 min of intense sales pitching, I told him to cancel the order. He said canceling would cost me $85 for admin/canceling fees, then later, after more sales crap, the fee changed to $106. Finally fed up, I literally yelled at him to cancel the order. He then called me an idiot and promptly hung up. The absolute WORST sales experience I've ever had in my life.

Collapse -
REALLY REALLY REALLY AVOID THIS MERCHANT
by amp2max / November 8, 2005 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: AVIOD this merchant

Had the same problem with this merchant. Come to find out that you had to be very very specific with your search. The camcorders with all accessories (battery, cables, etc) can not even be found if you browse this site. The service rep (the owner) was very rude and even promised me I would pay the maximum fees for cancelling my order. This has been my worse online experience. To make a long story short, stay away from this merchant. You will be able to do better elsewhere

Collapse -
Bait and switch ripoff
by orbhot / November 27, 2005 2:38 AM PST

This company is a bait and switch ripoff artist. After ordering a digital camera from USAPhotoNation.com I received an email saying I need to call them regarding the order. When I called, the representative tried to sell me batteries and memory cards, which I do not need more of. Then he said this camera is a "gray market" model that does not include the manual, cable, etc., (and I imagine no warranty) but, he said I could order the full USA model for $90 more. When I threatened to call my credit card company he agreed to cancel the order for free, waiving the 20% restocking fee, which I don't see how they could charge since they did not even ship the camera. Stay away from USAPhotoNation.com.

Collapse -
USAPhotonation
by pabrit / December 7, 2005 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Bait and switch ripoff

I must agree with all the previous posts. I had the same experience with them calling and 'letting me know' that the excellent price I got on the camera was because it came with a 'sample' battery that was non-rechargeable and only good for 5 pictures. They were offering to be very generous and give me a $90 long life battery for half price. I tried to cancel the order but they were very pushy and demeaning and then said there would be a 15% visa refund fee and another 15% restocking fee. Weak wuss that I am I caved in and paid it. I wish I had done more research on reviews of this merchant. They have apparently flooded the shopcartusa review site with 5 star reviews about themselves so don't believe all good reviews you read either.

Collapse -
CROOKS R US => USAPhotoNation.com
by JazzFusionGuy / December 14, 2005 3:23 AM PST

I found dealing with USAPhotoNation.com a sad experience. I am sold a camera advertised online and assured 3-5 day shipping by salesman. A week later: It takes me 20 minutes of calling and being hung up on to finally gain the truth on 12-07 that the camera is on backorder! Then to top it off, Jamie tries to sell me a "kit" for $40 extra to assure my camera is in stock. This tactic is called "bait and switch". It sucks to deal with such pressure sales bs for a $300+ order. The initial salesman on 12-05 tries to sell me a 1Gig card for $347! discounted to $147 because of a "package deal" -- oh gimme a break. This company overcharges on shipping compared to other New York dealers by over 200% compared to B&H's 3-5 day UPS for $10 vs their bs $25. This sucks folks!

So I go to B&H, they are so courteous and helpful that I order a REAL camera in STOCK, (no backorder crap), no USAPhotoNation.com "white box" / "blue box" bs (nice try guys) folks -- just the real deal and I get a 1 Gig card from them for $70 versus USAPhotoNation.com bs $147 charge. So these schmucks lost my $334 and the $374 they tried to leverage out of me and instead B&H gets my money -- NOT USAPhotoNation.com! And, guess what? B&H IMMEDIATELY confirmed my order and got my e-mail correct the first time. Amazing aren't they! AVOID USAPhotoNation.com!

So far I am watching USAPhotoNation.com to see if they illegally charge my card after cancelling my order. I trust USAPhotoNation.com will soon be contacted by the Attorney General(s) of several states and suffer a class-action suit for the crap they pull on unsuspecting customers!

Collapse -
Slime, slime, slime
by arovinsky / July 9, 2006 9:49 AM PDT

BUYER BEWARE. My experience of USAPhotoNation is that they are a slimy bait-and-switch racket. I did a lot of comparison shopping of prices for my new digital camera. USAPhotoNation had one of the lowest prices, with lots of good stars in ePinions, so I ordered my camera from them online.

The next morning at 7:15 a.m. I got a phone call from one of their sales people. He told me I had only ordered the camera body?would I like a lens to go with that? a battery? a charger? maybe an instruction manual?

Half an hour later I hung up, having agreed to add the $200 worth of additional accessories that were needed in order for the camera to function. When I told my wife, she was appalled, and she immediately called them to cancel the order. Here?s where it gets really good?

The person I had just spoken with a few minutes prior told her that they would charge a 10% cancellation fee?on an item ordered about 15 minutes earlier. When she said it certainly hadn?t shipped yet, he said that?s right?it would be a 15% cancellation if it had already shipped. She asked to speak to a manager.

10 minutes later a manager finally took her off hold (this is a long-distance call from California to New Jersey?no 800 number). The manager said, yes, there is a cancellation fee, but he could make it up to us by ?sweetening the deal.? He actually tried to sell her more stuff while she was trying to cancel the order. With various threats and expressions of anger, my wife finally got him to cancel the order and refund all of our money.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I had gone through with the order and had some sort of problem with the camera or the shipment, or if I didn?t have such an assertive partner to do my arguing for me at 7:30 on a Monday morning.

And it doesn?t end there?we mentioned this to a friend of ours, and she told us she had the same kind of experience, except that she went ahead and bought the bait-and-switch. She ordered a camera online from them because they offered a good price, and the next morning she got a call from their salesperson who talked her into buying the things necessary to make the camera work. We?re not talking about ?extras? here?we?re talking about things like a lens, a box, instruction manual, battery, battery charger, strap, etc.

Conclusion: if you order from USA Photo Nation, be darned sure you know what will be in the box you?re buying. And then pray you won?t have any problems with the item and have to deal with returning it or cancelling your order.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.