Speakeasy forum

General discussion

www.carbon.com

by Barnyard29 / March 27, 2008 5:23 AM PDT

Why does www.apple.com come up when I type www.carbon.com in a browser? Why would Apple own this domain name? Is it something they have worked on in the past that I don't know about or some future project?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: www.carbon.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: www.carbon.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speeking of Apple, and a bit off topic...
by caktus / March 27, 2008 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: here ya go...

Today I checked out their much touted Safari browser for Windows. Man, was that a mistake. Slow, unstable, light on features considering it is over-weight and heavy on requirements. In fact, it caused my XP system and even some apps including other browsers to go hay-wire. Plus it was murder getting it and it's required add-on gotcha's off my system. It didn't even show up in Add/Remove or Add/Remove Pro, and SR nor ERUNT could even get rid of it. This was definately a bad "Apple". I understand the Mac version is great for Mac's, but the Windows version really sucks.

Collapse -
so how did you get rid of it?
by WOODS-HICK / March 27, 2008 10:47 PM PDT

I tried opera but I like firefox better. opera removed without any problems. those are the only non-MS I have tried.

I hear IE8 is coming. IE7 is a disappointment. seems clumsy, seems MS tech folks aren't allowed to try their competition.

Collapse -
reply to: so how did you get rid of it?
by caktus / March 28, 2008 12:12 AM PDT

Had to run a search for "Safari" with the quotes, then delete each item. Then ran a search for "Apple" with the quotes and delete each one (since I didn't have anything else Apple.) Then using RegCleaner 4.3.0.780 I went to the Software tab and selected and remove everything "Apple". Then I removed all shortcuts to both Safari and the Safari Updater, and I think there may have also been something else related to Safari.

Just to see if there were any Safari related Reg entries left behind, I ran RegSeeker and I was surprised to find nothing Safari related was left behind.

RegSeeker is a very safe freebee. But while RegCleaner creates backups, you have to be very aware of what is being removed. Perhaps this is why it's nolonger supported or offered by MS. But it's still available at the link above and elsewhere. There are still some earlier versions around, but I don't know if there's any big differences. But it can be very handy. Come to think of it, I might have been able to get rid of everytnig Safari using RegClean.

BTW, Remove on boot was of no help either. I wish Apple had been nice enough to provide an uninstaller.

Charlie

Collapse -
tenacity is virtuous
by WOODS-HICK / March 28, 2008 1:26 AM PDT

glad I don't owe you money Happy

I am familiar with all the 'removers' you tried. I uninstalled all but erunt. that has been handy in the past.

regseeker scared me. it said I had over 9000 unnecessary reg items. I am cautious from previous over-zealous cleaning, so I uninstalled that instead.

for removing programs I have been using 'glary utilities' available CNET . it has a feature which offers you the choice to remove leftover files. and CC (crapcleaner) for registry cleaning. so far CC is harmless.

my #1 protector is GoBack, part of my norton systemworks 2006. it has a "Safe Try Mode". that allows you to install and try a new program. it takes an image of your drive. if you do not like what you did it restores the PC to its' previous state 'automagically'. no harm, no foul. I don't know if it is available as a 'stand-alone' program.

it has so far been superior to sysrestore and erunt. I consider it priceless because I do not possess guru or advanced PC skills.

caveat: I do not think it comes with all versions of norton systemworks, so caution if you look for it.

Collapse -
by caktus / March 28, 2008 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: tenacity is virtuous

ERUNT is deffinately more reliable than SR. I use the original GoBack (before Norton bought it) on my ME computer. I wish it was compatible with XP. But with so many reliable freebies available, I can't see shelling out more money. It seems we must maintain an arsenal of utilities for the times when stuff happens. And sure enough, when we least expect it, the unexpected does happen.

As for RegCleaner, it [can] be pretty handy on occasion, just need to be careful.

For several years now I have been removing everything that RegSeeker finds and have never experienced a single problem, even with the experimental Invalid services feature selected. And I have always heard positive reports about it. RegSeeker must truly have been created with the laziest and most unknowledgeable user's in mind. But still I let it create backups.

Collapse -
re: reply
by WOODS-HICK / March 29, 2008 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: reply
Glary Utilities has new version which I was too lazy to link. it's free and at CNET Download.

after reading your post, I will download RegSeeker again. I know JWilkinson, the Mod, has recommended it also. I will see how its' results compare with Glary.

if you try GU, let me know how you think it compares to RS.

thanks for all your info
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.