Speakeasy forum

General discussion

WSJ's Op-ed on Schumer's bank run

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WSJ's Op-ed on Schumer's bank run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WSJ's Op-ed on Schumer's bank run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, what do you expect THEM to say?

In reply to: WSJ's Op-ed on Schumer's bank run

Capitalist pigs that they are.

Mr. Schumer now argues that OTS was asleep at the switch, and that blaming him is like blaming "the fire on the guy who called 911." In fact, it's blaming the guy who poured on the gasoline. Very few banks, if any, would remain standing for long in the current tense financial environment after a Senator, in effect, told its depositors to run for the exits. In the 1930s, such tipsters were derided as rumormongers and often faced indictment for encouraging depositors to stampede banks.

"Just doing my job!"

Collapse -
I would like to know what Mr. Schumer has been doing these

In reply to: Well, what do you expect THEM to say?

last umpteen years in Congress to prevent this sort of thing from happening. The blurb I saw said he's the number three Dem on the Senate Banking Committee. So, where has Mr. Schumer been when these institutions needed fixing? What has he done, other than posture before the cameras and pursue his agenda, to improve and strengthen the nation's financial system?

Collapse -
Senate Banking Committee Membership

In reply to: I would like to know what Mr. Schumer has been doing these

Collapse -
And again the question is,

In reply to: Senate Banking Committee Membership

What did Chuckie do?

Collapse -
I don't know. What?

In reply to: And again the question is,

Blaming Schumer for this is a bit like getting convicted of a crime and blaming an eyewitness for your predicament.

Collapse -
No it's not

In reply to: I don't know. What?

You don't get it. He didn't punish the bank; he punished the depositors with his indiscretion. He didn't solve anything; he made it worse. As usual, he is nothing but a glory hound.

Collapse -
Not at all

He's complaining about the very things HE could have done something about.

Collapse -
Not even close.

Mr. Schumer triggered the biggest bank failure in US history because he was trying to score political points. It might help to get the facts before weighing in.

Collapse -
trying to score political points

In reply to: Not even close.

get the facts

Got a link where he admits that?

Collapse -
That's funny....

In reply to: trying to score political points

Ha ha.

Next you'll want the link where Ahmadinejad admits he's working on producing a nuclear weapon.

Collapse -
Hey...I'm not the one

In reply to: That's funny....

saying "because he was trying to score political points. It might help to get the facts"

I'm just asking IF he has the facts.

You laughing at him also?

And IF/WHEN a politician does something to score political points.....don't they all?

I think someone else is going around the world trying to score political points by cleaning up some loose threads.

Do you think this guy will admit trying to score political points?

Did he score any points with you?

KP doesn't seem too impressed so I guess he didn't score any points with him.

Collapse -
Gobbity-goop

In reply to: Hey...I'm not the one

But if point it out I just get deleted.

Collapse -
Was this letter...

In reply to: Senate Banking Committee Membership

Was this letter to the bank's regulator sent by him done so as an official communication as a member of the Senate Banking Committee?
If so, why did he leak an official communication to the press? Are members of the various government committees free to leak the documents of their committees at will?

Collapse -
Deserved

I think the Senator deserved the backlash he's gotten. Afterall, it was leaked and it seems maybe from his office. If not, then it should be noted someone wasn't a friend or didn't know better, IMHO. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
its bushes fault

In reply to: Deserved

Happy
Collapse -
It's anyone's fault

Anyone the bank and regulators can find to lay off blame for a bank that fell 97% in value during the past year under it's own officers before Schumer even opened his mouth. It's ridiculous to lay this on Schumer and seems an effort to warn and scare others to keep their mouth shut or the banana republic group will lay blame on you for all their own failings. This bank did it to themselves and the ones to blame are the them, the Federal Reserve's policies, and Congress in general. This is like saying, "Please everybody, don't mention the Emperor's new clothes leave him looking a bit naked today".

Collapse -
Like I said before, there are ways and there are ways...

In reply to: It's anyone's fault

Starting a stampede is maybe not the smartest thing to do. What good did Chuckie do?

No one said ignore it or don't mention it.

Collapse -
That seemed a surprising

In reply to: It's anyone's fault

....... defense tactic to me until I remembered that Rupert Murdock had fired Marcus Brauchil.

And before that he had fired the long-time respected WSJ 4th Amendment attorney :

http://www.observer.com/2008/wall-street-journal-lawyer-fired

This from Murdock who pledged not to interfere with the policies of the WSJ! Sad

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I may be a bit dense today.

In reply to: That seemed a surprising

I'm not quite connecting with the point you are making. Could you explain it some?

Collapse -
I'll try.

In reply to: That seemed a surprising

I found the "defense" , or "excuse", as the case may be, rather far afield, and not what I would have expected from the WSJ.

So, given the recent firings of well respected men, I admit that I am suspicious that Murdock has again began to put his personal stamp on his most recent media prize.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
OK

In reply to: I'll try.

Why are we surprised? Murdock has always been that way. He runs the show now. If it harms the WSJ, he'll hurt too. Maybe he knows something we don't? Or, maybe he's just a megalo-maniac who can't stand to have around anyone more respected than he? Those who were shareholders should have taken a cue from the holding family who sold; Take the money and run.

Collapse -
Curious thing...

In reply to: I'll try.

I looked up a list of Schumer's top contributors:

Contributor Total

Citigroup Inc $80,800
UBS Americas $74,250
Paul, Weiss et al $67,000
Kasowitz, Benson et al $64,250
Metropolitan Life $59,000
Goldman Sachs $58,040
Morgan Stanley $57,000
Guardsmark Inc $54,000
Lehman Brothers $53,750
Merrill Lynch $50,250
JPMorgan Chase & Co $47,800
Cantor Fitzgerald $46,250
Milberg, Weiss et al $46,250
News Corp $46,250
Time Warner $43,500
Newmark & Co Real Estate $43,450
Cassidy & Assoc/Interpublic Group $40,171
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu $39,999
Tudor Investment Corp $39,250

Curious thing considering the story at hand- notice News Corp.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.