HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wrt54gs and wvc54g troubleshooting internet access

by ber3894horse / January 21, 2006 11:29 AM PST

I want to be able to access my webcam from the internet. I have set up Sololink. Seems I can't open the right port. I have turn off my firewall on my computer but it still does not work. I use Windows XP. I can access my camera from the computer I have set up the router and camera with. Can someone help me? I need to fix this ASAP as I want to use the camera for when my are mares foaling. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wrt54gs and wvc54g troubleshooting internet access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wrt54gs and wvc54g troubleshooting internet access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From reviews..
by CrashT / January 26, 2006 1:41 AM PST

It would appear that Sololink is very unpredictable, even the support doesn't know what's going on half of the time. Most sites I saw gave it 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 stars. Most people say it stopped working in a couple of months, if they could get it to work. You might want to look into getting a different monitoring system..

Collapse -
port forwarding
by int21 / January 31, 2006 8:04 PM PST
Collapse -
Troubleshooting viewing WVC54G from internet
by pwfletcher--2008 / March 6, 2006 4:05 PM PST

Hi, i have similar problem as ber3484hourse. I recently purchased WV554G Linksys Cam, hooked it up to Speedstream 6520 router, made proper setup , signed up with sololink ddns service, portwarded port 9000 to the IP address, the port shows OPEN on Shieldsup, the Cam sends out video clips to my email address correctly, i can view the cam from the LAN. But I CAN NOT view the cam from internet (even though sololink points to the WAN IP of the router correctly). Could anyone help with ideas to troubleshoot the above probelm? regards,

Collapse -
WVC54G seen on Internet
by prheat1 / April 11, 2006 6:53 PM PDT

Well i presume you have an ADSL modem and a Wireless Wouter.
You have to create two forwarding ports.
Using NAPT or Virtual Server.
On your ADSL modem you have to forward your portnumber (example :8080) to your default gateway
example everything from outside address unspecified:8080 goes to 10.0.0.150:8080 where 10.0.0.150 is your default gateway inside your lan .i.e. ip-address of the router.
Then you have to create a virtual server on your router where you redirect everything from port :8080 to the ip-adress:portnumber of your WVC54G.
Done that, you can see your webcam on the internet when you contact your public ip-address something like 83.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080
The connect request comes in on 83.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 goes to 10.0.0.150:8080 and goes to ip-adress WVC54G:8080.
Something internal firewall rules on your home network or the network where yoy want to see the cam prevents you to connect to the cam.
Hopefully this will help.
frmaasdam@wanadoo.nl
Frank

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.