Computer Help forum

General discussion

wrong size of a HDD

by praxsdad / February 1, 2009 12:08 PM PST

i purchased a HDD a WD2500bevs its supposed to be 250 gig , i used Acronis Tru-Image software on it to format the HDD and now it is telling me the drive is only 110 GIG !!! how can i find or recover the lost storage ? i have run the windows "disk manager" and tryed to delete the partision ( sp ) several times without sucess
any thoughts or ideas ? does this drive have a self test digonistics ( SP ) or recovery ?
thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wrong size of a HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wrong size of a HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oops
by praxsdad / February 1, 2009 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: wrong size of a HDD

i am running XP with a 1.8 gig CPU

Collapse -
No biggy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 12:18 PM PST
Collapse -
You didn't tell us what mfg, series and model # laptop
by VAPCMD / February 1, 2009 12:24 PM PST

you put that in or what OS and SP you're using.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
You don't tell us much about the computer but ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 2, 2009 12:10 AM PST

you do need to be aware that many laptops more than a couple years old DO NOT support large hard drives without a BIOS update.

An old Dell C640 for instance (came with a 30 GB drive and an A-08 BIOS) can recognize and use an 80 GB drive just fine but a 160 GB drive when installed shows up as a 54 Meg drive UNTIL one updates the BIOS to the A-10 version. With the A-10 BIOS update it finds and can utilize the large drives just fine.

Collapse -
my PC
by praxsdad / February 2, 2009 7:11 AM PST

the laptop i am working on is a Dell Inspiron model 1505 running windows Xp Media Center Edition 2006 , i downloaded the latest and greatest BIOS for this unit ( A 17 if memory serves me ) i have tryed running G4U with no sucess . i would go ahead and buy the acronis tru-image 2009 but since i own and work on PCs still running win 2000 ( and it doesnt support this ) it would be useless for me
( my 80yo mother uses her Pc and it would be hell getting her up to speed on another OS such as Xp, i had 6 months of hell swiching her from win 95 to 2000 , hence my problem ) $50 bucks would be wasted

Collapse -
What I would suggest doing is to ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 3, 2009 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: my PC
Collapse -
Got a link to that laptop....I cannot locate any Inspiron
by VAPCMD / February 7, 2009 6:54 PM PST
In reply to: my PC

Model 1505.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Wipe the HDD with the mfg's (WDC) diags.
by VAPCMD / February 2, 2009 10:26 AM PST

Is this a case where you used Acrnois Trialware ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Yes
by praxsdad / February 2, 2009 11:14 AM PST

yes i used Acronis tru image trial ware and this is the results , i payed for their software and still can not get back to start ! making me go gray way before my time LOL and i have been waiting for 2 hours to chat with one of their techs .. *sigh*

Collapse -
(NT) Still recommend WDC diags to wipe the drive and start over.
by VAPCMD / February 2, 2009 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Yes
Collapse -
using WDC tools
by praxsdad / February 7, 2009 12:08 AM PST

i wrote all zeros to the drive and then attempted to delete this partition and still no luck
i have tryed several times to download the toolkit and then make a CD to boot from but no matter what i try it will not make a bootable disk , mayne i am just not so bright . but if anyone could tell me once i have a downlaoded file and burn it to a Cd how do i make it bootable ? i have ruined about 30 CD-R already .. any help ???

Collapse -
HOW ARE YOU MAKING THAT CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2009 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: using WDC tools

Many times I find people that put the .ISO file onto the disk. That's not what you should be doing unless you wanted to keep a copy of the file.

To make a proper bootable CD read " Question: How do I create the Ultimate Boot CD from the ISO image file?" at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/faq.html
Bob

Collapse -
So how many partitions do you see now ?
by VAPCMD / February 7, 2009 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: using WDC tools

Did you try Ed's suggestion using delpart.exe ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
i have tryed follow Ed's advise
by praxsdad / February 7, 2009 7:11 AM PST

i have tryed to follow Ed;s advice buti cant make a a CD that will boot , i am using Nero 8 and then make a data Cd but it will not boot
even after chabnging the bios to only boot from a Cd ... i even put the program on a flash drive and tryed to boot from that and it goes after about 4 mins to " Unable to find a bootable device " so i still have a 250 gig drive with a partition limiting it to 109 gig

Collapse -
That's a DATA disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2009 7:57 AM PST

Go find ACTIVE ISO BURNER which is free and will only take that ISO and make a proper bootable CD.
Bob

Collapse -
thank you everyone
by praxsdad / February 8, 2009 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: That's a DATA disk.

i finally made a bootable iso Cd and i used the tool kit from western digital to wipe the hard drive the acronis trial versions should be outlawed !!! they would not remove the partition even AFTER i purchased their softwear , makes me want to put it out there so others dont get stuck in their trap ! ( i wont put it out for freeware as thats wrong, but it sure is tempting )

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear you resoved it...Thanks for the feedback
by VAPCMD / February 8, 2009 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: thank you everyone
Collapse -
Alway nice when you crack it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2009 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: thank you everyone

And I bet you learned more than you bargained for!

Collapse -
yes i did
by praxsdad / February 8, 2009 9:35 PM PST

yes i always learn a LOT when ever i use this forum and i am thankfull i found it thank you all again , but as a side note i should mention the Pc i was working on i discovered it has a faulty Cd drive , its very intermitten .. is it any wonder i was going insane ? intermitten problem are the stuff nightmares are made of !!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.