General discussion

Wrong Hard Drive Enclosure?

Hello. Mr. PC-illiterate here. I have a new PC and I want to transfer the old PC's files to the new PC and then use my old PC's hard drive as a backup. I was told by a friend to buy a hard drive enclosure. My old hard drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80 GB ATA/133 HDD. The enclosure I purchased is a Rocketfish 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure Kit.

Something isn't right because I have no cables for the interior of the enclosure...nothing to connect the old hard drive to the enclosure itself. None of the cables inside my old Dell Dimension 4600C will work.

I'm wondering if the enclosure is not compatible with my old hard drive or maybe I'm missing something that should have been inside the enclosure kit.

Would anyone have any constructive advice for a first time PC hack? Thank you. Note: I also posted this in the Storage forum.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Wrong Hard Drive Enclosure?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wrong Hard Drive Enclosure?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
From the info you provided

your old drive is an IDE drive and the enclosure is for SATA. You just need to shop for a IDE enclosure.

- Collapse -
Thank You

Thank you for the IDE drive info. I'll take care of that today.

- Collapse -
Locked.

CNET Forums

Forum Info