Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wrong Drive Letter

by snakedokter / May 6, 2004 8:00 AM PDT

Just installed and activated WinXP Pro and now notice that my system disc is "F". How can I change this to "C" ? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wrong Drive Letter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wrong Drive Letter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Wrong Drive Letter
by Michael Geist / May 6, 2004 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong Drive Letter

What is using C? Try reassigning it in Disk Management.

Collapse -
Re:Wrong Drive Letter (the owner wants C: )
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong Drive Letter

This is common if you have an IDE ZIP drive in the machine during install. Since you can't reassign the boot XP drive letter, the workaround is to remove the ZIP drive during install.

Here's your KB Article about this bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304776

Note they don't give any indication this will be fixed.

Bob

Collapse -
Same Problem
by tomasreid / January 15, 2007 12:49 PM PST

Installed LINUX beside WinXP with sucess and enjoyed until "Chkdisk" ran and changed (fixed) the MBR. No longer able to boot NEW computer except from WinXP Disk. Had to Reinstall as "Repair MBR" did not work. Reinstalled , when rebooting had Zip drive attached as there is no A: drive for a BOOT DISK. ..SAME PROBLEM.. Now I'am with F: instead of C:\. Yes..Had backup on external drive with "Ghost" but was not a Complete image of drive. With "Ghost" was able to retreive many files from External Drive to F:\ This time did a Complete COPY of hard drive. Each time Partition Magic cleaned and format was able to RESTORE using "Ghost" back to F:\ and not C:
Unlike Linux, Windows's Registry is of madness and confusion that leaves the feeling that I had better reinstall WinXP from the ground up again. After a format of drive. WinXP installed and copied files n folders from "Ghost Restore" to C:\ ..Pograms including Virus protection ect. were not able to open and run after copy to C:\ from External G: restore point. No Virus Protection. No Firewall.
Went back to Complete Backup restore point and now with F: again.
Is there anyone who has a solution?
Thank you for your attention.
tom reid

Collapse -
I have an ZIP Drive, "A", "C"."D" & "E". Look at posts.
by DarCLew2 / January 17, 2007 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Same Problem

I do not need an "A", ZIP, or my burner (:E). To install WINXP, all you need are a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM and a HDD (C:). Two installs in 2 days, one as FAT32 and other as NTFS. Each time, I disconnected my ZIP's grey ribbon and ditto with it's Power. I had one accident were the HDD Grey ribbon was not completely connected when I disconnected my ZIP Drive's ribbon. BOTH times, I put in my WINXP CD into the DVD\CD-ROM. Both times it installed. I selected B so I could delete the old information on the Hard Drive. It will remove partitions also.
I have a WINXP Home Edition 2002 OEM. Hooked up Zip, right clicked My Computer to manage, Select Disk Management. My Zip is now "B".

Collapse -
Suggestion?
by tomasreid / January 17, 2007 5:27 PM PST

Hellow DarClew2
Have you any knowledge of "Change Drive Letter" with OS installed.?
Problem is I have no way to do a Complete Back-up of F:\ and then copy Complete Restore to C:\...When a clean format and assign letter C: the restore will revert to F: ..Lot of important software s/a Virus Protection, Firewall,ect that will not open when I use COPY files+folders from "Disc Copy" (Norton will only let you intall 3 times) ..
Thanks for your attention .. tom reid

Collapse -
C: is not changable at all, it is the hard drive
by DarCLew2 / January 18, 2007 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: Suggestion?

If it is installed anywhere else, it cannot change to C: either. Only other choice is to reformat and remove the ZIP drive. At the inital install, it should have said C\. I don't know how you are going to retrieve anything in F:, That is why I have everything stored on CD-R's, Floppies & ZIP Drives so when I hook up the ZIP Drive afterward, I changed that from F: to B: and reinstall them to C:
Just to give you an idea of how much was wasted on zip drives, I havw 3-100MB zips plus a lot of pictures and wallpaper on one CD-R.

Collapse -
Restore
by tomasreid / January 18, 2007 7:03 AM PST

Hellow DarClew2
When doing a Complete Back-up (Copy Disk) on any media it is the Restore that contains the MBR as well as settings in registry that I have trouble with.
Understand that there is a way to edit the registry to change drive letter but, I would rather tell the IRS that I will not pay my taxes then to get into the Registry at this time. Hope to learn a lot more about this.
Thank you

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!