Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Writing software reviews

by rnistaff / November 9, 2007 1:29 PM PST

I am not able to access the page to write my software reviews. The page flashes up for a few seconds and then I am sent to the login page. I log in but can't get back to the review page. Anyone had the same problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Writing software reviews
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Writing software reviews
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information please...
by John.Wilkinson / November 10, 2007 5:14 AM PST

Specifically, it would help to know what browser you are using, which product page is displaying the problem, and what security software you have installed. Also, after you login where does it take you such that you can't get back to the review page? It sounds to me like a cookie issue, which is preventing you from logging in successfully, but additional information is needed to say for sure.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Writing Software Reviews
by rnistaff / November 10, 2007 8:37 AM PST

Hi John,

I am running Mozilla Firefox browser with popup blocker. I can get to the review page but not to the "Add a review" after I logon. Initially I do go directly to the write a review when I click on the email that requests me to write it. but then after a few seconds it disappears and I get returned to the logon page. The popup blocker does not report that it is blocking a popup in fact I have set it to allow popups from CNET. I am running XP with standard security.
I hope this gives you enough info to be able to help me.

Cheers

Richard

Collapse -
Ah, I see...
by John.Wilkinson / November 10, 2007 11:28 AM PST

It's not a problem on your end, it's a new compatibility issue on Cnet's end. The Javascript-based form is supposed to reload after logging in, as it does in Internet Explorer, but it FAILS under Firefox, Netscape, Opera, and Safari. They have had problems since overhauling download.com a month or two ago, and it looks like this one needs added to the list. Peter or one of the others from the download.com team should be around in the next few days, but if not I'll drop them an e-mail. Hopefully this one can be worked out soon.

Thanks for reporting it.
John

Collapse -
Writing Software reviews
by rnistaff / November 10, 2007 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: Ah, I see...

Thanks John. I thought I must have stuffed things up somehow. I'll wait and see what developes.

Cheers

Richard

Collapse -
Bump
by John.Wilkinson / November 20, 2007 6:03 AM PST

Peter, could you look into this?

Thanks.
John

Collapse -
We're investigating
by peterbutler Download.com staff / November 20, 2007 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Bump

Thank for the alert, John. I thought I had responded to this thread, but maybe I didn't (or it was another similar thread.)

I passed along your comment about the user account problem in Firefox to our engineering team to fix, but haven't got much of a response yet.

I don't totally understand what rnistaff means by "I am not able to access the page to write my software reviews." The place to review software products (on Download.com, at least) is on the actual product page, below any existing user reviews.

rnistaff, if you're reading, can you tell me what you mean by the comment "I log in but can't get back to the review page."

After you log in, can you browse the site and download products, with your username in the upper right corner?

Is the problem occuring when you complete the 4 numbered steps (Step 1: Rate this software; Step 2: In one line, summarize your review; Step 3: Tell us what you like about this software; Step 4: Tell us what you don't like about this software) and the click the "Submit Review" button?

Or do you not even see those 4 numbered steps and the "Submit Review" button on the product pages, such as AVG Free for example:

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10761481.html

When you are logged in (with "Welcome, [username]" in the upper right corner), do you see the area marked "Submit your review for AVG", etc.?

I'm trying to figure out exactly when/where the problem is occurring, so any sort of additional info would be helpful.

If you have screenshots or anything else that might help, please contact me directly at peter.butler[at]cnet[dot]com.

I'm going to see if I can get someone to duplicate the problem here.

Collapse -
I figured it out
by peterbutler Download.com staff / November 20, 2007 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Bump

OK, sorry to both of you. I was able to discover the problem you're referring to. You log in at the "Submit your review" space, and then the box for reviewing the product doesn't show up after you log in. It just collapses.

There is an open bug to fix this behavior. The best workaround for now is to simply reload the page after you log in. That seems to make the review space reappear. Let me know if it does not work for you.

I'll keep putting the pressure on to get that bug fixed. That's not a pleasant experience.

Collapse -
Dissappearing Software review Page
by rnistaff / November 21, 2007 9:31 PM PST
In reply to: I figured it out

Thanks Peter,
I appreciate your efforts. Thank goodness you were able to replicate my problem as it was a little difficult to explain. I will try reloading the page and see how I go.
I have been away this week so have only just got your answer.

Thanks again

Richard

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?