Question

Writing my dissertation, need help with the data collection

Hi to everyone. I'm new to this forum. I'm currently due to finish my dissertation, however I'm only on the half way where I supposed to submit it in one week. The problem I have is the secondary data collection and its organisation for literature review chapter. The topic is about the applications that have malicious code on Android mobile platform and key threats to the data in this mobile platform from malware authors. I have already written about the android in general, its architecture, security measures and some of the threats that are in place. But the problem is that there is a lot of data out there and I don't know how to link them, organize them, what exactly more important than another. If anyone can help me with some tips on topics here and how to better outline (for example. Background, Architecture, security measures, and what is afterwards?). Any advice is appreciated, please post on here whatever information could be useful, even if I have already covered, such as background about android and its architecture with security measures. Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Writing my dissertation, need help with the data collection
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Writing my dissertation, need help with the data collection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: a lot of data

If there's a lot of data around, and you don't know how to use it, organize it and present it, we have to consider the possibility that you're just didn't yet reach the competency level you need to get your certificate.

Sorry, I'm a teacher, and I see more students like that, that fail their final exam. So it really happens.

Kees

- Collapse -
!!!

Dear Teacher. Did I ask someone to write this paper for me? I just wanted some advice. There are thousands of student who just pay someone to write for them, at least I'm not one of them.

- Collapse -
Back to teacher.

Time to have a sit down with the professor and see if they can tell you what they are looking for.

Long ago I had a design that dictated I write a paper about. The volume of information about the parts was biblical in size and at the time was unheard of as we were just getting into such large devices. In the past you could cover what things did and fit it in a few hundred pages but this was new and looked to be breaking new ground in what we would include with our own documentation.

In the end we had to hold a summit meeting with the players and get them to either change the rules or admit that the document they called for would be a few years in the making.

This sounds like what you are getting into.

Or with today's ready access to oceans of data you may have collected far more than you can use.
Bob

- Collapse -
:(

I know there are a lot of data out there, but which data and their structure that I don't know. I already lost hope from this forum and will try my best for the deadline. Thanks

- Collapse -
;) I hear you.

But if you look at almost any engineer's desk or office you often find the data they keep there in various systems.

1. The piles. That is, this pile is for that type of info...
2. The clean desk type. They can be meticulous and keep it all files.
3. The what matters type.

I wonder if you collected more information than you need or can handle. Sometimes you find folk that collected mounds of documents but that's not what matters. You sometimes have to cut to the chaff, collect the essence and not everything.

Have you met folk that collect too much information?
Bob

- Collapse -
Time to close.....

Since this thread is going nowhere fast, time to close this.

CNET Forums

Forum Info