Windows Vista forum

Question

WRITE PROTECTED

by kilroy001 / November 14, 2011 10:47 PM PST

I'm running Vista(32) & I'm having problems with the CD/DVD drive, I keep getting tha "this disk is write protected" message, so I can't even re-format them.
How do I "Un-write protect" a disk?
ANYONE? Olease
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WRITE PROTECTED
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WRITE PROTECTED
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You Probably Can't...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: WRITE PROTECTED

Although you haven't given us specific information about the TYPE of disc you're trying to un-protect, if you're looking at CD-R or DVD+R discs that have been burned and finalized, then you can't write to those particular files again.. They're permanent on the disc, at least while they're on the disc.. OF COURSE, if you copy those files to you computer, then RIGHT click on the file, choose "Properties", then UNCHECK the box next to "Read only", you should be able to edit the files..

If you're dealing with a CD-RW or DVD-RW and it's coming up with the same message, it may be corrupted.. Try the same method of RIGHT clicking on the drive in "My Computer", choose "Properties" and see if "Read only" can be unchecked.. If not, then the disc is corrupted or has become too old to read correctly

There ARE registry entries that can block writing to discs but if this computer is yours and you haven't made those registry changes, then it probably isn't the cause..

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Thxs
by kilroy001 / November 17, 2011 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: You Probably Can't...

Thanks for the info, but, it happenes to alot of my CDs/DVDs. Even tho I haven't "protected" them! I can format a disk (either kind) add some files & then I get the write protected thing! Isn't there such a thing as a "de-protect" file or something like that, because if I can't load them or even re-format them their just junk disk (& they ain;t cheap now a days)
Again Thanks VERY MUCH for any help!

Collapse -
Re: write protected
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: Thxs

Are they already finalized when you get that error?

Kees

Collapse -
protected
by kilroy001 / November 18, 2011 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re: write protected

I don't know about all that "computer stuff" like I said, all I do is take a disk out of the holder, format it & copy files to it, then when I try to open the disk (normally later on) or I try to re-Format it, I get that wrirt protected sign, even tho I haven't "protecyed" it (them)

Collapse -
If You've Finalized/Closed The Disc...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 18, 2011 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: protected

...during the burn, you can't format or change the files on the disc.. It's "finalized"... ON the other hand, if you've using CD-RW discs and formatting the disc, then copy/pasting files to the disc, you should be able to format the disc again.

I said "should" because various types of packet-writing software, which allows you to use the CD-RW disc as if it were a hard drive, sometimes cause the disc to fail in this task.. Specially if you're trying to use the disc on a different computer from where it was originally formatted.

So...that "computer stuff" is critical here.. It's extremely important to give us the specifics on the type of disc you're using (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-RW), and the where and when you're using the formatting tool.. Which program are you using the format the disc? Things like that helps us answer your question.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?