Computer Help forum

General discussion

wps file problem!!

so i have some documents that i recovered from my old hard drive..its like 5 years old..fat fromat..um..i cant seem to open it with any of my word processors any ideas?
i have tried:
ms office 2007/2008/2003
microsoft works 4.0
notepad
wordpad?
anything please help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wps file problem!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wps file problem!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try OpenOffice

In reply to: wps file problem!!

Try OpenOffice, it's quite good at opening up a large number of different formats. Otherwise, you need to figure out what program (and version) you used to make the file.

Collapse -
Since *.wps files are MS Works files ...

In reply to: wps file problem!!

they open in Works, Word or Publisher.

They will not necessarilly open by double clicking them though so please give us a step by step of how you are trying to open them.

Often you must open the application (MS Word for instance) then select the File menu then Open and then in the resulting dialog box you need to scroll to the appropriate format and select it then the file. How are you doing it?

Collapse -
PS - failing that try this link ...

In reply to: Since *.wps files are MS Works files ...

WPS Files Explained | Convert WPS To Doc For Free
http://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/11/22/wps-files-explained-convert-wps-to-doc-for-free/

When you installed Word you may have failed to install ALL the necessary file converters.
Collapse -
k

In reply to: PS - failing that try this link ...

well when i open with ms word it says to choose a format to open with ms-dos...ms-windows..or a list of other codecs..tried all of them and it still wont work..i am going to try the converter to see if that will work..get back at ya soon..

Collapse -
From what you say, it sounds like you simply ...

In reply to: k

did not install all the file converters when Word was installed.

You can re-run the Word installation and choose to add components and make sure you select all the file converters, because not all are installed by default and many (if not most) persons installing MS Office or the stand alone MS Word simply go with the default installation rather than the custom installation.

Collapse -
??

In reply to: From what you say, it sounds like you simply ...

so i installed all the converters and it still will not read it?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.