Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

WPDNSE Folder

Methinks an upgrade to Media Player 11 is responsible for a new folder named "WPDNSE" that appears and reappears in my temp folder as an empty folder. I delete the folder but it returns, I believe, at boot.

Is it harmful; is it spyware; is it malware of any kind? I have Googled "WPDNSE" but the information I have found on this folder has been vague.

If subject has been brought up before, I apologize......I have been away and might have missed it, but could not find anything with Search.

Miki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WPDNSE Folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WPDNSE Folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
and what about wmplog.sqm?

In reply to: WPDNSE Folder

wmplog.01.sqm (sometimes with different number) has recently been showing up in my Temp folder.

Does anyone know what this is about other than it appears to be a Windows Media Player log? Methinks this also began to appear after my Media Player 11 install.

My thanks.

Miki

Collapse -
For the first one

In reply to: and what about wmplog.sqm?

Search Home | Advanced Search | Search Preferences | Search Help

Search Microsoft.com for

Search pages in English all languages

Search Results 1-2 of 2 containing WPDNSE (0.03 seconds)

Supporting Device-Side Content
WPDNSE_PROPSHEET_DEVICE_GENERAL: Corresponds to the general tab for the device. WPDNSE_PROPSHEET_STORAGE_GENERAL: Corresponds to the general tab for a storage object found on the device.

msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387605.aspx
Supporting Device-Side Content
WPDNSE_PROPSHEET_DEVICE_GENERAL: Corresponds to the general tab for the device. WPDNSE_PROPSHEET_STORAGE_GENERAL: Corresponds to the general tab for a storage object found on the device.

msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wpd_sdk/htm/supportingdevicesidecontent2.asp

Collapse -
(NT) Translation Please

In reply to: For the first one

Collapse -
wmplog.sqm

In reply to: and what about wmplog.sqm?

Collapse -
Thank you, Marianna

In reply to: wmplog.sqm

As suggested in a post on Wilders via your link, I disabled WMP 11 default privacy option, "I want to help make Microsoft software and services even better by sending Player usage data to Microsoft" Wink Will post if this succeeds in eliminating either or both WPDNSE and wmplog.sqm as they seem to be coupled.

Miki

Collapse -
Miki, You Are Welcome......

In reply to: Thank you, Marianna

Collapse -
Hi Marianna

In reply to: Miki, You Are Welcome......

Collapse -
Miki...... how about this.....

In reply to: Hi Marianna

WPDNSE stands for Windows Portable Device Namespace extension. The only
thing that I can think of is that Windows uses this folder to temp share
information when user elects to share information from a portable device.
You can add files to it, but they are deleted as soon as the user logs off.

http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?p=2717553

<quote>
Thanks for your brilliant post. WPDNSE is definitely related to Windows Media Player 11. I just uninstalled WMP 11 and WMP 11 runtime libraries. And WPDNSE folder is GONE!.

http://www.onlinepctips.com/showthread.php?p=722260

I found myself on the VideoHelp site because it was all that a Google
search would return concerning WPDNSE. This elusive, self-generating,
empty folder drove me crazy as it acted like a trojan and I could not
find its source or any info about it. Finally, I ran a HijackThis log
and found this unknown entry: WPDShServiceObj.dll
I removed it because it looked related to that stupid folder and WHOA
LA!!

No more self-generating folder to muck me up in the middle of my work.
I still sometimes use WMP 11 to play .

http://groups.google.co.ke/group/microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player/browse_thread/thread/ff1df8017a986013/41fbb782a2339f54

Collapse -
Marianna, thank you again.....

In reply to: Miki...... how about this.....

Hi Marianna -- From what I am reading from your links, methinks neither of these files is a threat, which is my main concern. I do not get error messages as some folks do, and they get deleted every day manually from C:\Temp along with everything else....so no big deal. Some folks uninstalled WMP 11 because of WPDNSE and wmplog.sqm, but I will keep WMP 11 unless I hear these files are undesirable. It seems I read they were for use with Vista.

Changing my privacy options on the player to not send data to Microsoft, prevented wmplog.sqm reappearance, but not WPDNSE (empty).

Thanks so much for your input.

Miki

Collapse -
Marianna here is an Addendum

In reply to: Marianna, thank you again.....

Marianna -- From your link, I found this post reply which is applicable exactly to my situation
http://groups.google.co.ke/group/microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player/browse_thread/thread/ff1df8017a986013/41fbb782a2339f54

"The first is due to the fact that when you open WMP11 it wants to start the
Universal Plug and Play Device Host service, which itself depends on the
SSDP Discovery Service. If either of those services is disabled you will get
the DCOM error in the event log. To avoid the error log, set both those
services to manual. It does this even if there are no Plug and play devices
for WMP to detect. I have reported this and the MS development team has
agreed that it should be corrected (in the next version??), so that for
those of us without UPnP devices do not need to have those services running
needlessly. I don't know why WMPcreates that folder, but it is not an error. Maybe it
creates it in case it needs to cache some temporary files, but it has always
remained empty on my PC. If you delete it it just gets recreated."

I get the DCOM error in my event log, too, but hesitate to set my Universal Plug and Play to Manual from current Automatic. I have always been advised to keep on Automatic. Conclusion: IMHO files are not a problem.......methinks?

Miki

Collapse -
Hi, Miki: There's a Big Difference Between Plug'N'Play.....

In reply to: Marianna here is an Addendum

Local & Universal Plug'n'Play. I consider the latter a potential security hole. For this reason, I keep it "Disabled".
If you plug in a device (without currently having drivers for it)Universal will go on the net to look for appropriate drivers (from where?). This can be a problem as you may not know how trustworthy the source is or whether the drivers found are updated and possibly not suitable from your particular set-up.
In my case it would find new drivers from Intel but my machine works worse with the new ones rather than the "old" ones I currently have.

Local Plug'N'Play is OK to leave on Auto as it is just the part that notifies your computer that you have plugged in a item and calls up the drivers you already have to support the item plugged in.
This is useful with USB devices (Flash drives/Storage drives) or if you need to Un-install & Re-install some auxiliary item such a a mouse or monitor. You might do this if the items drivers are acting up & you want to re-new them. You would un-install the mouse then re-boot & plug-in the mouse which will cause machine to "find" "new" mouse and new copies of the same drivers would then be automatically installed from back-up copies on-board.

As regards your initial questions, I believe some of those files record info about what you plug in or download to say an plug-in MP3 player (and send back to MS) and probably are connected with Win Media Rights Mgmt. (lic. for songs etc.) I consider this like the same idea in I-Pod/I-Tunes/I Store where it's ONLY monitoring what music you like to better serve you(!!!). I consider that as at least a tracking mechanism if not truly spyware.

Hope this clarifies somewhat. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Thank you, tobeach

In reply to: Hi, Miki: There's a Big Difference Between Plug'N'Play.....

Tobeach -- In Services, my Plug and Play is on automatic. My Universal Plug and Play has always been disabled.

I appreciate the information re my initial questions. Since I disabled the WMP option to not send data to Microsoft, I have not seen the wmplog.sqm file......however, I have high expectations that MS one way or another will be keeping track.

Miki

Collapse -
Miki: Since Your Earliest Posts..

In reply to: Thank you, tobeach

You've come a long, long way Babe!!! Congrats in order & give yourself a good pat on the back & a big HUG!! Love Thanks for posting back! Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Babe to tobeach :) -- Thank YOU for posting back

In reply to: Miki: Since Your Earliest Posts..

Collapse -
Re:WPDNSE Folder

In reply to: WPDNSE Folder

See if Windows Portable Device Shell Service is listed in Services and
Disable it.

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click Windows Portable Device Shell Service |
Set Startup type to Disabled.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.