Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

WPA connection problems - a real tricky one!

by BWBear / December 29, 2009 2:21 AM PST

Hello all,

If anyone can help I'd be more grateful than you could imagine!! I have an Asus notebook with Atheros AR928X Wireless Network adapter and XP Pro installed. I am attempting to wirelessly network with a Netgear DG834G v5 wireless router, and am having some baffling results.

With security off or using WEP, or if an ethernet cable is used, I have no problems connecting to the router, and pinging and surfing external hosts, e.g. google.com. All is fine.

However, if I try to use WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK, I cannot access any websites in IE/Opera/Firefox nor any mail servers, and cannot ping any external hosts. I am able to wirelessly connect and stay connected to my Netgear router and receive an IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.2) without problem. The Windows XP Zero Wireless Utility reports that the connection is without any problems. I am able to ping my router @ 192.168.0.1 with 100% response @ 1-2 ms, and can login to the router config page at the same IP. Ping dumps with WPA/WPA2 on:

------------------
C:\> ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms
------------------

------------------
C:\> ping google.com

Pinging google.com [209.85.227.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.85.227.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
------------------

Further info:
1) Other notebooks and PCs function okay on the same router with WPA/WPA2 on.
2) This notebook is able to connect with WPA/WPA2 with my other router (a Belkin)
3) This notebook can share files with others with this Netgear router and WPA/WPA2 on a wireless network

Steps taken to resolve problem so far:

1) Netgear Firmware updated to latest - no change
2) Varied TKIP/AES - no change
3) Ensured ISP settings correct - PPPoA, ******@plusdsl.net, *****, etc. - no change
4) Told router to use static Internet IP address - no change.

(Conclude: Problem is not with ADSL connection, as other systems have no problems, as does this one when plugged in/not using WPA, and all settings appear to be correct.)

5) Switched off DCHP on router, got notebook to manually request IP. - no change
6) Changed Wireless mode b&G to g only - no change
7) Changed wireless channel from auto to 11 - no change.
Cool update notebook BIOS version - no change.
9) uninstall wireless console and wireless adapter driver, restart, reinstall (ver080903 from Asus website) - no change
10) uninstall wireless console and wireless adapter driver, restart, reinstall (ver7.6.1.244 (090326)) - no change
11) format HDD, reinstall windows xp home from commercial CD and only install latest wireless adapter driver and utility - no change.
12) Pull hair out and cry - no change.
13) Call netgear who told me that WEP is better than WPA and are generally useless. - no change.
14) Write this message...

In summary:
Wired (ethernet) - connects, router ok, webpages ping & can surf
Wireless No security - connects, router ok, webpages ping & can surf
WEP (64bit) - connects, router ok, webpages ping & can surf
WPA - connects, router ok, webpages no ping/no surf, feel sad
WPA2 - connects, router ok, webpage no ping/no surf, feel sad
Notebook with other routers with WPA/WPA2 - fine
Router with other notebooks with WPA/WPA2 - fine

Anyone suggestions/further questions very welcome!!!

Thinking caps on and all the best,

Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WPA connection problems - a real tricky one!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WPA connection problems - a real tricky one!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What country?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 2:54 AM PST

Is this DG834Gv5 Firmware Release Version 1.6.01.34?

I have a varient of the 834 and while it worked ok, one day it died so now I have the WNR2000.

"1) Other notebooks and PCs function okay on the same router with WPA/WPA2 on.
2) This notebook is able to connect with WPA/WPA2 with my other router (a Belkin)
3) This notebook can share files with others with this Netgear router and WPA/WPA2 on a wireless network"

Frankly I'd change routers.
Bob

Collapse -
by BWBear / December 29, 2009 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: What country?

Hello, thanks for the reply. Yup that's the one...in the UK. Unfortunately the other router belong in another house and is just being borrowed so would really like to get it working with this setup if possible!

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

This looks like "one of those things." Thankfully I run into this one so rarely but want to share we know not to invest too much time on them. The shop rate is 150USD on the house call so we can slip in a good router in about 10 minutes and save them money over futzing with the router.

Why not take the WEP setup and run with that for now?

Collapse -
This is getting very wierd....
by BWBear / December 29, 2009 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Sadly.

Okay this just gets stranger and stranger.

If I type anything into internet explorer, say "random" and press enter nothing happens for a few seconds. But then...!!!...IE6 attempts to redirect to auto.search.msn.com and then bing.com...and succeeds!!! I am then able to surf around the bing.com site as I please, although quite slowly. Images on the bing servers will load without problem!!! But if I click any links away from the bing server..."The page cannot be displayed". If I type in bing.com into the address bar..."The page cannot be displayed". If I ping bing.com, I get 4x"Request timed out".

What on earth is going on?! There must be something special that IE6 uses to access this bing page as no other external server can be connected to and bing can't be pinged.

Ideas on a postcard!!!

Chris

Collapse -
correction
by BWBear / December 29, 2009 6:32 AM PST

Sorry, if I type bing.com into the address bar it does load sometimes.

Collapse -
Since you claim it works on WEP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: correction

Let it work on WEP until a new router is found or you try other, older versions of the router firmware. Same idea for the wifi card.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!