TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

WOW Todays The Day : Need Help In "Setup" Of New TV!!

by EXCON / February 26, 2007 9:34 PM PST

After waiting 2 LONG weeks my new 70 inch Sony KDS R70 XBR2 is arriving this afternoon!! This is gonna be AWESOME!
I was wondering if anyone has used the AVIA DVD for adjusting their monitor. I had experts adjust in the past but I simply can't afford it. Are there any "tricks" I should be aware of in setup on this TV?

I also am somewhat confused about how to connect the following:
PLAYSTATION 3: I will connect it directly to the monitor via HDMI but I have a Marantz receiver. Do I run an optical out from the PS3? If so I assume my PS3 must be on a separate source than my receiver video output. This means I won't be able to switch using the Marantz. IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS? SHOULD I USE COMPONENT INSTEAD? DOESN'T THAT BASICALLY "KILL" THE B/RAY 1080p?

THANKS!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WOW Todays The Day : Need Help In "Setup" Of New TV!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WOW Todays The Day : Need Help In "Setup" Of New TV!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your Sony has a Digital Audio Optical Output......
by jimca3 / February 27, 2007 12:12 AM PST

The Calibration DVD's work very well. There's also one called Digital Video Essentials that I've heard is just as good but less $$.

According to the specs, your Sony has 1 Digital (Optical) Audio Output on the back. You could run HDMI from your PS3 to the Sony, then optical audio from your Sony to the Marantz. I tried that on my Panasonic to Onkyo but couldn't get 5.1. So I just run HDMI from my DVD to TV, and Optical Audio from the DVD to the Onkyo and it works fine.

Collapse -
Thanks! But Another Question:
by EXCON / February 27, 2007 12:23 AM PST

So I run an independant optical from the Marantz to the Sony. Does the Sony automatically send the optical input to the source I am using with the HDMI input? In other words, say the HDMI is "source 1" does the optical input also need to be set to "source 1" or does the TV automatically sense it?
I will be connecting a Series 3 Tivo to one HDMI and the PS3 to another HDMI. This also uses optical audio SO WHERE DO I CONNECT MY AUDIO FOR THE TIVO?

My XBOX 360 will go component via the receiver and will use optical thru the receiver.
THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS!!!

Collapse -
It may require some trial & error.....
by jimca3 / February 27, 2007 12:45 AM PST

You may just have to play with it to see what works best. But the Digital Audio Output on the Sony should automatically switch when you change Inputs and pass audio to the Marantz from what ever source (input) you've selected on the TV.

Collapse -
Thanks Anyone Wnna Buy Some "Dumbo Speakers"?
by EXCON / February 27, 2007 12:53 AM PST

On the 70 inch Sony I can disconnect the side mounted Dumbo ear speakers. Anyone interested in them?
Its going to be very interesting to see if I am correct that the new Sony XBR's are brighter and clearer than the Plasmas. I am going to place my Panasonic 600 Plasma next to it while adjusting both sets. Its unbelievable what Sony is able to do with Rear Projection today. I bought the first Sony 70 inch XBR in 2004 but they are now a far better TV. Even the old set looks almost as good as the Plasma, just didn't have the brightness but the new XBR2's are so bright that they MUST be toned down. This monster is gonna be a blast to play with!!

Collapse -
Some posters say they've found calibration discs at video
by NM_Bill / February 27, 2007 1:53 AM PST

rental places & Netflix. If so, why buy? Use it for a couple buck rental. Worth checking out.

Enjoy your new toy. Post back with how good it is (or not.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.