Speakeasy forum

General discussion

WOW!! NJ Gov resigns, cites gay affair as reason

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WOW!! NJ Gov resigns, cites gay affair as reason
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WOW!! NJ Gov resigns, cites gay affair as reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kind of a surprise.

In reply to: WOW!! NJ Gov resigns, cites gay affair as reason

But, now that I'm hearing it, I'm not 'that' surprised.

I wonder why he's resigning. He wouldn't be the first governor to weather an affair.

Dan

Collapse -
Rumor has it: a sexual harassment suit,not yet public.......

In reply to: Kind of a surprise.

a same sex harassment suit,that is.Most probably "Quid Pro Quo".

Collapse -
Yup!

In reply to: Rumor has it: a sexual harassment suit,not yet public.......

Collapse -
Total surprise to me

In reply to: Kind of a surprise.

Completely out of left field (as if you couldn't tell).

A friend of mine works the State House beat for a NJ daily newspaper. I'll have to talk to him.

Collapse -
Re: WOW!! NJ Gov resigns, cites gay affair as reason

I hope it was completely his decision and that he has not been coerced.I feel truly sorry for his family and wish them well.

Collapse -

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Resign was the only honorable thing left he could do.

Collapse -

Josh,

Substitute the word "lover" for "friend" in this story and see if it now makes sense:

Despite his statements to the contrary, Gov. McGreevey, from the beginning, intended to make his now-departed Israeli adviser and friend, whose expertise was public relations, the state's point man on terrorism, documents obtained last week under the federal Freedom of Information Act show.

Using the terrorism attacks of Sept. 11 to justify the hiring, the governor's chief lawyer wrote a letter to the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service on McGreevey's inauguration day, telling the federal agency that New Jersey wanted Cipel to coordinate increased security with all branches of government and that Cipel had the necessary "substantial experience" in public security.

The letter was part of a petition by the state for a specialty work visa that had to show Cipel was qualified for what he was being hired to do.

Israeli military expert and journalist Yossi Melman said the letter "more than exaggerates" Cipel's experience and capabilities in the Israeli Defense Force.

"The state of New Jersey's application (to the immigration service) in particular struck me as full of chutzpah," Melman said. "It is rather surprising that the governor went out of his way by using the pretext that his Israeli friend is a terrorist expert in order to accommodate him. I find it especially troubling to use the horrible events of 9/11 as a justification for the nomination of Golan Cipel to a highly important security position which he was not qualified for."

"Full of chutzpah", indeed...

Collapse -

McGreevy has been treading on thin ice for some time now with some pretty big fish associated with him falling. Why an affair, even a gay one, should cause his resignation is a mystery ... especially in the liberal state of NJ. There is more to this story. McGreevy putting off the actual resignation until November precludes a special election this Fall handing the office to (and a full year of encumbancy) to another Democrat. Party loyal till the end!

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: WOW!! NJ Gov resigns, cites gay affair as reason

Hi Evie:

I don't think it's about his being gay either (or even about his cheating on his wife with a man). Most of the people of NJ would be able to put that information in its proper place and base their decision whether to vote for him on the things that matter like his record, etc.

Apparently this guy was threatening to blackmail him and he decided to let the air out of that balloon by admitting to being gay. There also appears to be a sexual harassment suit brewing as well as the allegations of impropriety Paul posted about. If that stuff is true, then he was right to resign. Using the 9/11 attacks as a pretext to give his lover a post as important as that (if that allegation is true) would be inexcusable.

Collapse -

We agree on this one Josh.

Curious what you think of the timing of the resignation. His announcement now is (if all reports about the affair/hiring/lawsuit threat are true) obviously a pre-emptive strike, but why then put the step-down date three months in the future? Based on comments by Judge Napalitano on FNC (he is a Jersey resident and apparently familiar with election law) if he actually steps down now, or in the coming weeks, there will be a special election. In waiting three months, the Governership remains in Democrat hands until January 2006. Why not put it to the voters of the state?

Collapse -

It's all happened so fast that I really haven't had a chance to think about all that. I just spoke with a friend of mine who is a reporter covering the NJ State House and he confirmed that these allegations are forthcoming, and will be announced as early as today.

Collapse -
Coincidentally enough....

Collapse -
Re: Coincidentally enough....indeed!

In reply to: Coincidentally enough....

The man that your link cites as bringing the charges is the same man referred to in my post. No coincidence, methinks...

Collapse -
Re: Coincidentally enough....indeed!

In reply to: Re: Coincidentally enough....indeed!

Hi Paul:

I meant it was a coincidence that my friend happened to have written an article dealing with the very question Evie had just asked re: timing, a special election, etc.

Collapse -
I know that, Josh;...

In reply to: Re: Coincidentally enough....indeed!

...I just think that the fact that your friend's story mentioning the same person that my linked story mentions validates my suspicions. I emailed my wife's uncle, who's an assistant editor at the Wall Street Journal, lives in Jersey and knows everything. Wink Hopefully I can get all the dirt, er, details straight...

Collapse -
Re: I know that, Josh;...

In reply to: I know that, Josh;...

Oh, yes, I think it does. Now that I've linked to the article and my friend's name is known, I'd rather not indicate what "off the record" thoughts he may have had regarding this situation, but it could get very interesting depending on what pans out and is deemed newsworthy.

Collapse -

First he was resigning to stop the other man from blackmailing him over the gay affair.

Then the other man accuses him of sexual harassment and claims he turned down a payoff to be quiet.

And there is the question of pressure to get immigration etc cleared for a friend (or also as a bribe for silence?).

I think this is very much a stay tuned for further details, and diversions, red herrings, out&out lies, and claims/counterclaims from all parties involved.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
The 20 Day demise of McGreevey

A Governor's Downfall, in 20 Wrenching Days

(if a log in is required, use speakeasygang/speakeasy)

Gov. James E. McGreevey's breathtaking spiral toward his resignation began with the most mundane of daily events ? a simple phone message from an unfamiliar lawyer, one of hundreds of such calls fielded each week at the switchboard of the busy New Jersey State House.

It ended on Thursday with Mr. McGreevey delivering a remarkable six-minute speech that was equal parts confessional, apology and outing, and whose singular, precisely worded bombshell line ? "I am a gay American" ? was strategically devised with the help of a national gay rights organization the governor had consulted in the last hours of his secret life...

Even most of the liberal pundits are coming out (pun?) and saying this is shamelessly playing the gay card to cover a more deeply troubling corruption scandal. It is unlikely that the Jersey voters will at last hold someone in the Democratic party accountable, but it is absurd to think that NJ would suffer more (and I would contend less) if he was truly honorable and left effective ASAP. As one pundit said with his "I'm a gay American" statement: "his nationality was never in question!". If the lover were a woman and the other circumstances identical, he wouldn't have a gay card to hide behind to divert the real issue.

The Democrats have a solid hold on Jersey politics, and by all accounts even Kerry has clawed his way back from a disturbing early trailing of Bush. The state deserves better than a governer not elected by statewide voters for over a year. That is pure power play. The voters ought to realize that if they are so liberal anyway, the Democrat party should have little to fear by a special election. Their refusal to do so to retain control is telling the voters that they don't count. Wonder how many will see it that way?

Here in CT we have a Lt. Governer. You don't vote for them directly, just like you don't vote for VP directly, but at least they are elected as part of a statewide ticket. WHen Roland resigned, he handed the reigns to Rell, who now has to deal with a Democrat for a Lt. Gov. until the next election.

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.