Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WOW!! Has anyone seen the new XP update page?

by Coryphaeus / August 23, 2004 4:32 AM PDT

New format and design. New options. The 98 page is the same.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WOW!! Has anyone seen the new XP update page?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WOW!! Has anyone seen the new XP update page?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WOW!! Has anyone seen the new XP update page?
by murman / August 23, 2004 4:38 AM PDT

Yeah, I hate it

Collapse -
by retired / August 23, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

yes, and not really liking it as it needs the auto update turned on to work.

Collapse -
by TONI H / August 23, 2004 5:13 AM PDT

Aren't you able to customize it/personalize it like before so you can download the files separately like you used to? I've seen the page but didn't pay much attention to the sidebar option as I didn't do anything except take a peek and didn't download or install anything. Actually, I think I assumed that the personalized settings I had set up previously were still in place......maybe they weren't....and I sure as hell don't want MS deciding if I need hardware updates and installing them automatically.

TONI

Collapse -
by glenn30 / August 23, 2004 5:35 AM PDT

Yep, with the exception of appearance it appears pretty much the same. Using the 2nd option you can pick and choose those you wish to download. Still using SP-1 and it lists those I have downloaded and those available just as before.

Glenn

Collapse -
by phattdaddy / August 23, 2004 7:08 AM PDT

Gee! auto hardware updates Toni, do you think MS might update my HD to 80Gig?

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / August 23, 2004 10:52 AM PDT

I agree retired..dont like it!

Collapse -
by phattdaddy / August 23, 2004 7:04 AM PDT

Yes Wayne! and you can even get a decent printout of your updates with little fuss.

Collapse -
by retired / August 23, 2004 7:24 AM PDT

I still stand by my post, unless you have Auto Updates turned on in Services the new update package will not work.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / August 23, 2004 11:08 AM PDT

So how do we that dont want MS updating for us (auto) get the new Update SP2 and others?I have been having a problem with downloading /installing SP2,there are several threads here about it,, guess now i know why..i have checked alert me when new updates are available,which it did,,but cant download it.I sure dont want MS installing any drivers to my pc or anything else for that matter without my consent.

Collapse -
Then you did something wrong. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 23, 2004 1:40 PM PDT

I didn't enable auto updates and I got the list of those available. MS downloads a new engine, but not autoupdate.

Collapse -
by yongtw123 / August 23, 2004 7:51 AM PDT

yep,
a new thing to get used to...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.