Laptops forum

General discussion

Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)

A few nights ago it dawned on me that it would be really great if i could hook up my Xbox to my Laptop's LCD and play Halo 2. I thought to myself that if i can get a RCA to S-Video cable from Radio Shack i could hook up the xbox to the lap tops S-video connection. Wrong!! To my disappointment, the guy at radio shack kindly informed me that in fact the s-vide connection on my lap top was outgoing only! It only sends signals, not receive them.

ANYWAY, my question to anyone who can help is is there a way, (any way at all) to get a RCA Cable hooked up to my lap to. Or is there any other way i can play halo2 on this beautiful LCD screen of mine, after all it would be such a waste if it remained so neglected, and only used for the occasional DVD movie Happy

The system I have is a 3.06pentium4 Toshiba Satellite A70. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)

In reply to: Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)

BTW, i did a search on the subject already and came up empty handed, BTW i hate being the first to reply to my own post

Collapse -
Re: Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)

In reply to: Re: Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)

Just FYI. There are video capture cards and USB devices out there. BUT to play a video game will require either a PC-Card video capture or trying the newer USB 2.0 TV/Capture devices.

Any USB 1.1 TV/Capture card will not work for gaming.

bob

Collapse -
where to find

In reply to: Re: Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)

Thanx bob, any idea on the picture quality of any of these devices? I?m thinking the USB TV capture device would probably be cheaper, but how would the quality be like? Would it be more like HDTV quality or anything like that? Anyone have any idea where I could find any of these devices for cheap? thanx

Collapse -
It will be TV quality.

In reply to: where to find

As to cheap, the USB 2.0 versions from ATI or Hauppaugge are 99 or under.

Remember the the older USB 1.1 device is not suitable for gaming.

Bob

Collapse -
Quick question

In reply to: It will be TV quality.

Would all this really be worth it? Doesn't HALO 2 exist for the PC?

I think the only way you could get higher-than-tv quality gaming on a laptop screen would be with a Toshiba Qosimo which has HDTV capabilities.

Any other way I can think of would run it through the video card and if your video card isn't good enough to run Halo 2 then there wouldn't be much point would there?

Collapse -
it may be

In reply to: Quick question

Halo 2 isn't on PC, at least not yet, probably not for a year or so because they want to milk it for all it's worth on Xbox, and then release a "better quality" version on the pc later on (that's my conspiracy theory) :).

And for now i can't get the Toshiba Qosimo because i just bought the A70 and am stuck with it for a while. (Not that I?m complaining, because it is a great deal ((high power, for a low price. Id actually recommend it to anyone)))

Collapse -
pv vide capture card price/quality

In reply to: It will be TV quality.

So you mean that it will be "T.V. quality" with any USB connection, or just with the USB 1.0 type? And what about a "PC vide capture card", any idea as to price and quality? The A70 comes with a USB 2.0 btw or at least that's what it says in the manual :o)

Collapse -
I just played it on my PC.

In reply to: pv vide capture card price/quality

I used a video capture card which the Xbox is connected to. It's "great" TV quality, but not HDTV...

I see no need to elaborate this.

And Halo 2 is very nice on my PC monitor.

Bob

Collapse -
what did you...

In reply to: I just played it on my PC.

once again, thanx for the input, but one more thing; you said the USB adaptor was about $99, now what about the pc video capture card, same price, or something else? How much did you pay for the one you just used, thanx in advance.

Collapse -
PCI video cards.

In reply to: what did you...

I use either the ATI or Hauppauge units. The retail price is 49 bucks and those work just dandy. There is some capture software and time record software with it, but I don't use it much.

Bob

Collapse -
USB 2.0 works for sure, no lag?

In reply to: PCI video cards.

I've been struggling to find a solution to play my xbox on my laptop as well. I tried a USB 1.1 a while back before doing enough research and encountered lag as you have mentioned which made it impossible to play. You have tried playing games using USB 2.0 and there is no lag? I don't want to buy one and find out it doesn't work well enough again. thanks much.

Collapse -
Video Capture Card?

In reply to: I just played it on my PC.

You say you connected a video capture card to your xbox. What kind of video capture card do you have hooked up to what kind of laptop. Curious, because I want to do the same. Thanks.

Collapse -
One easy way...

This is one way to do it, not cheap or easy like a simple cable, but in the ways of the old DVD MPEG overlay cards for laptops

http://www.psism.com/av.htm#capture

There are more out there, but this is just to give you an idea of what to look for.

Basically, a PC card or USB cable with SVIDEO and/or Composite RCA video on it, use them to view the SVIDEO/RCA input on the screen in an overlay.

Collapse -
y

Why did you want to do this? Why not just plug it into your TV.

Collapse -
Another approach?

I am pretty sure there are emulators that allow people to play other game consoles' games on a different console(say nintendo games on an xbox). I also beleive there are emulators for computers that allow you to play game console games on your pc. However I am not sure if there is an emulator for xbox games that would allow u to play them on a pc. Never heard of one. Have any of you? If so, where do u get them? How do they work? Thanks

Collapse -
might be illegal

In reply to: Another approach?

unless you already own the system and the game, emulators are illegal. even then, I bet microsoft would argue that they still are. Because of this isssue, your probably aren't gonna find many answers to this question on this forum.

Collapse -
Wouldn't IT be great? (XBOX TO LAPTOP LCD)

Hey pure_c, here is what you do wait for Halo 2 to hit PC ^_^ oh come on you knew it was coming. There are also small LCDs out there that you can buy, but why spend the money when you already have one.

Oh well keep on posting I would like to know your findings

Collapse -
PCMCIA CARD FOR LAPTOP

Ok listen up, AverMedia makes a cardbus unit(pcmcia card) called the AVerTV Cardbus and AVerTV Cardbus Plus! You can hook up your xbox, tv, vcr, cable, whatever to it...and it plays on your laptop screen. You can even record whatever to your HD, like using your laptop as a digital video recorder. The only catch is you have to find one on ebay or purchase it from an overseas online retailer b/c for some reason it's not sold in North America , but it works in North America. I have the AVerTV Cardbus for my laptop and it works great! You need to get the AVerTV Cardbus Plus because its the newest and includes FM radio. When you get it tell me how it works, I may get the new one also because it also comes with REMOTE CONTROL. Hope that helps. Later

Collapse -
Gainward TV2GO

In reply to: PCMCIA CARD FOR LAPTOP

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.