TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Would you purchase a Vizio P series or M series?

by Airia_studio / March 26, 2015 11:43 PM PDT

We're in the market for a 70" TV for our media room. We had pretty much narrowed it down to these two tvs, but definitely want best picture quality for our money. Which of these would you buy and why? Or would you look at something else? We're in Canada and the budget is <3k.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would you purchase a Vizio P series or M series?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would you purchase a Vizio P series or M series?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: video quality
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 11:58 PM PDT

Did you read reviews to see what they say about the video quality?
Did you compare the video quality yourself in the shop?

Kees

Collapse -
Yes, but
by Airia_studio / March 27, 2015 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: video quality

Reviews have been causing the confusion in the first place and they all agree that a showroom floor is the worst place to judge

Collapse -
Just what a web reviewer would write.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but

Web reviewer - Showrooms are not the place to judge.
Shops - You can't trust Web reviews?

CNET has folk that do a great job on the reviews. See if they have your models there. I worry about the Vizio line though. I'm sure you have heard of folk reporting shorter life spans. In Canada I worry about warranties (witness the condo insurance failures.) So which maker warrants it for over a year?
Bob

Collapse -
More research suggested on your end
by Pepe7 / March 27, 2015 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but

FWIW, few people I know who have purchased Vizios have been happy once the difference in PQ and the post-sales service hiccups that may ocurr were discovered. YMMV. Samsung might be a better choice IME if your budget really is $3K and could forgo the latest 4K HDTVs and go with a 2014 65" 1080p model. Unless the viewing distance was extremely far away in your media room, the 65 vs 70" won't matter at all. Study the Carelton Bale chart for more info regarding the realities of resolution/screen size/viewing distances.

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/
*most important part of article is 'In conclusion' section

You really need to visit mom-n-pop HT shops in Canada that are not big box stores. See the difference in person between several HDTV makes/models, utilizing the same content on each one. IOW, bring in the same Blu Ray title, or ask that the same satellite or cable channel be used when doing any comparison. I've gone as far as ordering two (sometimes three!) different HDTVs, then doing a side by side comparison in my own home (and client's).

Amazon reviews can be useful to the layman IME, as are the various comments in AVS forums. There are usually dedicated threads to both individual models & makes/series, sorted by sub-forum type (e.g. LCD/LED, plasma, etc. Start looking around here once you identifiy specific models you wish to research.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/

Let us know if you have more specific questions, especially once you nail down specific models.

Collapse -
Answer
Now let's get into it. This is usually the 4K vs. 1080
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 1:58 AM PDT
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1515651-comparing-2014-vizio-m-series-p-series.html

This is usually the 4K question. For me I can skip 4K for a while since I won't be walking up to the screen but sitting at a normal viewing distance. The article at http://www.cnet.com/news/how-big-a-tv-should-i-buy/ does link to the 4K TVs are stupid articles so you may want to read those to see why that was written.

If you are the type to look at the TV from a few inches away then 4K is for you.
Bob
Collapse -
Sorry- I didn't see your link
by Pepe7 / March 27, 2015 4:07 AM PDT

Otherwise, I wouldn't haven't added the AVS part of my reply ;

cheers

Collapse -
It's great.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 4:11 AM PDT

You supplied another AVS discussion on the matter. I guess showrooms are full of tricks. For example just last month I heard the salesfolk ask the potential buyer to look closely at the screens. Yes, the 4K demo looked sharper at 12 inches away (60 inch screens.)

Wow.
Bob

Collapse -
;)
by Pepe7 / March 27, 2015 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: It's great.

That almost makes me miss the days when the BB & CC sales staff were on commission (LOL).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!