Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Would you date someone of a different politcal view?

There was a story on my local news this morning re: people who will date only those of their political party.

Reminded me of a piece I saw in which southern accents did in some relatiionships.

I did a Goggle search, and found this:

So how can love survive between the two different species, conservatives liberals, stretched across party lines -- especially during a tense election year?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/15/upenn/

The search revealed some sites dedicated to both sides.

I dunno. My husband and I did not always see eye-to-eye politically, which caused no problems. The same with my parents.

But, in those days the divorce rate was not 50%. Maybe now political differences fall under "irreconcilable differences".

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would you date someone of a different politcal view?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would you date someone of a different politcal view?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure as heck, I would. I've spent....

In reply to: Would you date someone of a different politcal view?

so many hours in the pub after work arguing the toss, that I wouldn't know where I was if I was going with someone who actually agreed with me! Coo, that would be a first Wink

PS Our group always found that "irreconcilable differences" were always resolved by another round of drinks... Cheers!

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Sure as heck, I would. I've spent....

In reply to: Sure as heck, I would. I've spent....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Date one? I'm married to one for 17 years :-)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sure, have done even with different sex views...:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hell, hon...I'm just looking for a DATE...period LOL

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Hell, hon...I'm just looking for a DATE...period LO

In reply to: (NT) Hell, hon...I'm just looking for a DATE...period LOL

If I ever get to your neck of the woods you got one!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Seemed to work for the Kerrys

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And the Schwarzeneggers

In reply to: (NT) Re: Seemed to work for the Kerrys

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: yes, good example

In reply to: (NT) And the Schwarzeneggers

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Re: Seemed to work for the Kerrys

In reply to: (NT) Re: Seemed to work for the Kerrys

Teresa sounded pretty liberal to me. Wink

Collapse -
Re: Would you date someone of a different politcal view?

Hmmm, my wife and I aren't opposites for sure, although we don't agree on degrees a lot regarding politics.

Seriously, and difficulty will depend on how obsessive each is about their views, and how widely they differ.

While never impossible, it would be very difficult for those of opposite extreme views and passionate about it to make allowances, IMO.

The smaller the differences, and the less involved each is, the easier to make accomadation.

Now isn't that way too serious a discussion about such a question? Wink

RogerNC

Collapse -
I don't know about too serious, as you are probably...

In reply to: Re: Would you date someone of a different politcal view?

describing almost every couple on the face of the earth! (You describe the usual symptoms well, I think.) I guess humans are a bit like software apps - you've gotta get to know them and then figure out the work-arounds. I don't suppose programmes are partial to chocolates and champagne, but there are things that keep them happy. As for people, we're still here after a few thousand years so I guess we manage to survive our differences one way or another Wink

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I also married one. Its her only fault ;)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And marry. We often cancel out the other's vote LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) James Carvelle and Mary Matlin

Collapse -
Re: Would you date someone of a different politcal view?

Hi, Angeline.

As with many things, I think it depends how passionately you hold your beliefs. it was certainly difficult for me to get along with my father after I turned liberal, as he was rabidly conservative as I was liberal, and politics were/are vitally importsnt to both of us. OTOH, my mother, while conservative, didn't live breath and talk politics 24/7 the way my father did, so it wasn't an issue there. I'd think it would be the same with a date/spouse (K is almost as liberal as I, so this is purely hypothetical Wink )

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) MARRY 1st, debate later. ;)

Collapse -
For the most part, yes.

Not that I have much choice in the matter since I'm a Libertarian/Independent. Besides, as I noted in a recent post to Josh, I find it more interesting to read views that differ from my own.

That said, I couldn't have a relationship with anyone who is rabidly anti-gun. i.e. someone who thinks guns are evil and doesn't want them around. Any potential mate must be at least neutral enough to accept that it's my thing, even though it may not be her thing. (And I, of course, would do likewise.)

Then again, maybe that's why I've never married - SingleM@N

P.S. http://www.conservativematch.com/

P.P.S. Aren't Alan Colmes and Monica Crowley in-laws? I thought he married her sister or something like that. Not that Ms. Crowley's political views are necessarily shared by her sister.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.