Desktops forum

General discussion

Would you buy this pc?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would you buy this pc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would you buy this pc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No. I'm holding out for dual core.

In reply to: Would you buy this pc?

Collapse -
Uhhh...

With some many things happening in the computer industry it may be smart to hold out on buying a computer for awhile, otherwise you may be disappointed. But it looks like a great computer.

Collapse -
Build now and upgrade later or just wait?

In reply to: Uhhh...

Would it be wise to build a descent one now and upgrade later when dual cores come out,or are the high end amds sufficient?

Collapse -
No, like some others, best to wait....

Hey, dual core and 64-bit is out now for AMD and Intel. You can get a good deal for your $2000 by just waiting it out a little longer.

Collapse -
since he is seeming to want to go OEM...

In reply to: No, like some others, best to wait....

i'd just goto Dell or Alienware as they both have dual core ready to ship
and configure what you want for $2000-$3000

also
i can tell you from personal experience, one 6800GT is MORE THAN ENOUGH
while SLI looks cool, and while the ability to pull 8500+ in 3DMark05 and something like 17000 in 3DMark03
it's just a bit excessive...
with my 6800GT on a fairly old CPU
I can do over 10,000 in 3DMark03
Half-Life 2 will play @ 1152x864x32x75 with something like 8x AF 4x AA, maxed in game settings, max audio settings (forgot to mention I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum) and I can actually see vertical tearning happen (meaning it's breaking 75 FPS...)

you really can't beat that
i mean yeah, you can do 1280x1024 and 1600x1200
but a 6800GT can do that to (my monitor maxes at 1280x1024, but it's at 60hz, which is very hard on the eyes, so i keep it at 1152x864 to allow 75hz refresh rate (i like being able to game for hours with no headaches (literally)))

it seems your wanting an extreme gaming PC
personally
i'd get an Athlon64 Socket 939, from what i've read/seen/heard most of the newer nForce4 equipped boards will take AMD's dualcore with nothing mroe than a BIOS flash

so i'd go that route

at first glance a single 6800GT looks slow and un-attractive when compared with cards like the Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition, or the GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI

but just look at these benchmarks
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/index.html

just look at em
look at how fast a single 6800GT actually is
and remember, the human captures at between 29 and 32 FPS (it's supposed to be 30, but to be safe I just throw a general range, so that people who want to quote it low are happy, and people who want to quote it higher are happy)

and I can say from personal experience above 35 FPS and your smooth
above 45 FPS and it's not really noticeable compared to 35 (at 35 you risk dipping down to like 25 is the action gets heavy)

but i've run UT2004 at an averaged 27.8 FPS throughout the whole game and it didn't really seem that bad (you wouldn't notice any performance drag unless all 32 bots + you were trying to occupy the same space (and if you know what UT2004 is, you know how much action that would invovle))

i'd say a 6800nU would be more than fine
but if you want to "feel the power" the 6800GT is truly the best bang for the buck
they are about $300 AGP and something like $400 PCIE
the 6800U is about $450 AGP and closer to $550 for PCIE

and it's about 4% faster
also consider that i'm using a K7
which is the slowest "current" CPU on the market (it's Athlon, Duron, AthlonXP, AthlonMP, Sempron, and AthlonXP-M) while some Pentium 4's and most Athlon64's are far and away faster (Pentium 4's under 3GHZ are competitive with K7's, but above 3.2 they are much faster (until you start OC'ing your K7...))

personally i'd suggest an AthlonXP
BUT
there are no PCIE boards for them, so i won't suggest that

i'd wait about a month for dual core to come in
and i'd just get a dual core Athlon64
with a GeForce 6800GT
it'll scream

Collapse -
Waiting may be prudent...

For gaming, dual core processing is in the future and Intel has already begun priming:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20050308net.htm?iid=search&

AMD plans to introduce a dual-core version of the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor when multithreaded software games are available to take advantage of its benefits.

More time is needed to evaluate just what AMD and Intel will/and or offering?

For AMD an article indicates that many current motherboards only needs a BIOS upgrade for dual core processing, but what about the processor and its cost.

Newegg doesn't have anything out yet for AMD, and the AMD 64 Dual Core Processing family is supposed to include models:

4800 = $1001
4600 = $803
4400 = $581
4200 = $537
respectively, in 1000 unit quantities

AMD has already announced immediate availability of the Dual-Core AMD Opteron 800 Series processor for four- to eight-way servers. The 200 Series processors for two-way servers and workstations are supposed to be available late this month.

Intel:
Newegg doesn't have anything out yet for Intel, and the Intel Dual Core Processing family is supposed to be the Pentium D Processors. Intel currently has:

Pent D Processor 820, 2.8GHz (price unk)
Pent D Processor 830, 3.0GHz (price unk)

Pent D Processor 840, 3.2GHz
The Dual Core Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 3.2GHz, with motherboard, Intel D955X BKLKR, and 955X PCI-Express chipset with DDR2 is supposed to be $1050.

Alienware, Dell, and Velocity Micro started on April 18 selling desktop PCs and workstations based on Intel's first dual-core processor-based platform.

Velocity Micro has taken the Dual Core Extreme Edition 3.2GHz and apparently overclocked it to furnish computer versions of 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz, and 4.0GHz with their company's new Liquid Cool fluid cooling technology to be sold with them, and is completely sealed, maintenance free for the life of the PC.

Who knows....Velocity Micro may be able to soon team up the Nvidia nForce4 SLI (two video cards) with the Intel Dual Core Processor, and 64-bit technology to produce an expensive 'all in one' high end gaming machine.

I'm wondering if Intel is going to use the Velocity Micro overclocked versions to fill up the remaining 8xx series of the Dual Core Pentium D Processor....like possibly:

Pent D Processor 850, 3.6GHz
Pent D Processor 860, 3.8GHz
Pent D Processor 870, 4.0GHz

As I read, dual core is, "...perfectly suited for power users who run several applications on their computer simultaneously, and as more games are coded to utilize the multithreading capabilities of this technology, gamers will reach new levels of immersive play.?
Also, "... users will soon be able to burn CDs or DVDs, while simultaneously unzipping compressed files, edit a digital photo, and encoding high-resolution videos, all while running robust security applications in the background without slowing down their computer.."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!