Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Would Vista affect battery life on my Sony PCG-N160G?

by Lovamelin / April 1, 2009 10:28 PM PDT

I just bought a Sony PCG-N160G for my wife for her to use at school and for general use. The laptop runs surprisingly fast for just 1 gb of memory which I already ordered 2 instead. It has Vista on it, which I figured would surely run like molasses considering the 1gb of memory. Be that as it may I know on some laptops that had XP on them and were "vista ready" when they had vista installed on them it not only really taxed the machine but sometimes it killed battery life from 1-2 hours to 30 minutes or less. I was wondering if going to XP would be a much better power option or not, I know its better but I wondering if its a sizable difference. Take into account as well that the battery is probably original, and probably around 3 years old. So it very well may need replaced, which I'm fine with, but I'm still wondering new or old battery alike, whether XP would be the wiser power solution out of the two OSs. Thanks for your help.

PS - Are extended batteries really worth it? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would Vista affect battery life on my Sony PCG-N160G?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would Vista affect battery life on my Sony PCG-N160G?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you mean life or run time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2009 10:33 PM PDT

There is a lot in Vista that saps power such as Aero but then again it is YOUR CHOICE to turn that off. Once we turn that off I can't see where run time and therefore the battery life (some 300 cycles) would be much more than some single digit difference.

The battery life of 300 cycles is carved in it's design so you can't fix that.

Extended warranties are up to you but will you be upset to pay for out of warranty repairs.

And why use the battery if you can get power on AC? The single act of staying plugged in means more years (not life!) till you replace the battery.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes and No....
by Lovamelin / April 7, 2009 12:13 AM PDT

We do primarily keep it plugged in, so this is not a super crucial issue. But at the same time we bought a laptop so she can take it to class or wherever and work on homework and the sort. Hence why battery life is essential, I mean why buy a laptop if you just keep it at home, you buy it for the option of being mobile. As such, no not run time or battery cycles. I know vista wouldn't affect that much if any. Just wondering on pure battery life when it comes to actual usage. Such as the difference between getting an hour or three on a single charge. Thats what I was aiming at. I know several people who've upgraded to vista only to see their battery life fall on a single charge because of the massive power needs of vista. As such I wanted to inquire if that may be the problem with mine, thanks.

Collapse -
Those failures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2009 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes and No....

Now that I have a few failures to draw experience, none were due to Vista but the unwashed masses would say it is. The failures so far are your usual 1 year old battery with daily use so it was at its end of life and the Vista install just happened to be in the same month as when the battery decided to expire altogether.

The other failures were because very few people understand that drivers don't come from Microsoft. The laptop's drivers were not installed and the poor owners were having all sorts of failures of wifi and more.

Because of this I can't agree it's a Vista issue. It's just that we have 300 cycle batteries and Microsoft that doesn't supply drivers.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.