The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Would Veronica have been better off staying, now with CBS?

I was thinking about whether Veronica would have been Natali, doing the CBS TV shows, etc, if she had stuck around. If she had been given her own video show (ie, like Loaded), then parlayed that into live TV appearances, etc, would she ultimately have been better off?

I love Tekzilla, and think she is doing great for herself, but you just wonder . . .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would Veronica have been better off staying, now with CBS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would Veronica have been better off staying, now with CBS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Water under the bridge

Only thing that really matters. We still miss Veronica! Happy

Collapse -
Tekzilla

In reply to: Water under the bridge

Veronica makes Tekzilla fun to watch. She'll be fine in the long run.

Collapse -
She's great there she makes that show work!

In reply to: Tekzilla

But Veronica belongs on BOL, just like Kirk, McCoy and Spock belong together.
Well that's my view.

Collapse -
If you ever drop your keys in lava, forget them...

In reply to: Would Veronica have been better off staying, now with CBS?

cuz man, they're gone.

Collapse -
She's in qore

In reply to: If you ever drop your keys in lava, forget them...

She's in Qore. I bought the whole season pack once I heard she was on Qore.

Collapse -
My question is:

If Veronica looked like a young Madeleine Albright, but with the same tech savvy and personality as she (Veronica) has, would she be "missed" on BOL quite as much? Come on, now, be honest.

To me, Veronica's voice is not the best for pure audio presentations. Natali, on the other hand, has the type of voice I could listen to all day long. I don't even watch Natali's video stuff. I just love her voice. And, of course, she has a good grasp of most tech stuff when she's BOL'ing.

Since I'm on the topic of voices, Tom's got the natural radio-voice (and he's from that industry). Molly's got the sassy vocal quality that suits her well. Jason sounds a little folksy to me, but it works in context. Veronica? She's a beautiful woman, but I just don't like listening to her. It's just a little grating to me.

So as not to sound so sexist, a MALE voice that I find very irritating on a podcast is that of Lloyd Case of ExtremeTech. Drives me nuts. I'll listen because the show has good tech review info, but man, it's tough! He's a very smart guy, but broadcasting is not his natural talent.

Just my opinion, and no better than anyone else's.

Collapse -
Yes, her looks got her into video

In reply to: My question is:

But, she was very popular on BOL long before any of us ever saw her. It is not her voice, as you say, but it is definitely her knowledge of tech, her quirkiness and "geek-cred" and just her willingness to put herself out there and be, well, goofy at times. She was just fun to listen to, even more than she is now fun to watch.

And, yes, it is a moot question now, but as I see Natali being watched by potential millions on the Early Show, I wonder whether that would have been Veronica. Alternatively, it may well be that regardless, she is better following the rising tide of internet media.

Collapse -
It Will Forever be a What If

We'll never know for sure, but I think we can hazard a few guesses:

1. Veronica was at the height of her "internet fame" when she left CNET. I think that she saw the offer to do Mahalo Daily as a way to strike out on her own and not be one part of a three person show (the Buzz Out Loud Trinity of Tom, Molly, and Veronica - note that Veronica was usually mentioned last despite eventually becoming the most famous of the three). This was a smart and well reasoned move.
2. CNET was left without their biggest female star (at least in the geek world) when Veronica left. Her loss was immediately felt on BOL, CNET TV and the other CNET properties in which she featured. Don't get me wrong, I love Molly Wood, but, for some reason, Molly doesn't attract the rabid fandom of Veronica.
3. I don't know if CNET heavily recruited Natali (or, if Natali saw an opportunity in Veronica's departure), but I think she was the perfect successor to Veronica. Natali has the same good looks as Veronica with the added benefit of more academic (BS in journalism from CSU) and professional (publications in WIRED, Variety Magazine, MarketWatch, TechCrunch, PC Magazine, and many other periodicals) bona fides. Her experience doing Podshow's "TeXtra" (which, in many ways, was cloned to create CNET's "Loaded") showed that she could do very well in front of a camera.
4. Whether it's right or wrong, having an attractive and articulate female technology journalist is a major asset for any media company. I think that if Veronica had stayed with CNET, then she would probably be in the same position as Natali. I don't think CNET needed Veronica AND Natali (although Natali could have worked on the News.com side - but, they already have Kara Tsuboi).

So, I think that the only answer to your question that I can give is that Veronica would probably be doing Natali's job at CNET (and now, CBS) if she had not left. However, I don't think that she would have been better off if she had stayed with CNET. I think Veronica has done an excellent job of growing her personal brand. She is known as "Veronica Belmont" instead of "The Host of Tekzilla and Qore". I think if you could compare the "brand identity value" of Veronica to Natali, then Veronica would score significantly higher. She would not have nearly the online cachet she enjoys today if she had stayed with CNET.

The upshot to all of this is that we should celebrate a smart and intelligent woman like Veronica successfully making her way (on her own terms) in the male dominated technology industry. For doing something for which there is no applicable precedent, she is doing remarkably well and deserves applause from all of us.

- Anjuan Simmons

Collapse -
(NT) Good analysis (NT)

In reply to: It Will Forever be a What If

Collapse -
if she wanted to stay with big and corporate

She would have stayed with CNET. Granted, she's doing Qore, but she does not work directly for Sony. It seems she's doing what she wants while keeping her home base in SF.

Collapse -
She Could Come Back

Since it doesn't look like she burned any bridges, I truly doubt CBS|Net would pass on bringing her back. I'd say she's got options.

Collapse -
she has been guest/cohost since

In reply to: She Could Come Back

she has been guest/cohost since, i think its a good idea for her to come back every so often Happy

Collapse -
Well...

In reply to: She Could Come Back

She's doing a good job on Tekzilla.
I would like it if she would make guest appearances on bol much more often though.

Collapse -
Depends on what she wanted...

some people want the big corporate environment, some (er, perhaps most) don't.
--S

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.