TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Would this help me get digital stations?

by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 2:03 AM PST

D-Link

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would this help me get digital stations?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would this help me get digital stations?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a few stations have begun broadcasting in digital.
by NM_Bill / January 1, 2009 3:09 AM PST

Can't find them if they're not there. It seems most stations are going to roll their signal over as of Feb 17th. I presume they don't want to prematurely chop off those who haven't gotten a needed converter box yet.

A better antenna has nothing to do whether a signal is analog or digital.

Collapse -
Okay, I'll wait until February
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 3:58 AM PST

The network stations are broadcasting in digital but my TV cannot pick it up. I'll wait until Feb, maybe then I'll get the signal.

Collapse -
The network stations are not just SD but Hi-Def,
by ahtoi / January 1, 2009 4:14 AM PST

You have a hi-def.TV?

Collapse -
I have:
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 7:06 AM PST

Insignia NS-LCD19 19" LCD TV, which I thought was hi-def when I bought it but I guess not. The antenna is RS Vhf/uhf/hd/fm indoor tv antenna.

Collapse -
this will help you..
by givemeaname / January 1, 2009 3:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Sorry I never figured out that site
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: this will help you..

I've been on that site and don't know what the purpose is.

Collapse -
just fallow the instuctions
by givemeaname / January 1, 2009 4:22 AM PST

enter the data they ask for & then you get the heading (direction), channel(s) & distance from your loction... & you have to take into consideration that you live in an apartment.

for me it is not very accurate since I live at 2500ft.. it just shows I get 1 channel but I get about 20 OTA digitals, some from over 140 miles away.

& I just really looked at the specs for your 'antenna'... it is not for OTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is made to extending the range of a router.. IT IS Not made to pick up UHF or VHF, that is a BIG part of your problem.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=416

you need something like one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032204&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189

or outside:

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032205&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189

Collapse -
Can I install the outside antenna or get somebody to do it?
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 7:08 AM PST

I "rent" an apartment. The LL doesn't have an antenna. I just want clear TV pics....this is so discouraging to look at network TV and see fuzz.

Collapse -
your getting me confused
by givemeaname / January 1, 2009 7:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes, this is the TV
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 8:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Just looked at those antennas
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 7:10 AM PST

And the reviews on the indoor antenna is bad....the outdoor antenna wouldn't work because it's not MY house or apartment. I'm renting.

Collapse -
AntennaWeb
by mg50cnet / January 1, 2009 5:24 AM PST

Forgot to mention that I used that site and it gave me an accurate list of the channels in my area. For the most part, they are the same ones that I had been viewing on an older analog TV. For example, analog PBS is Ch. 5; digital PBS is 5.1, and V-ME (Spanish PBS broadcast) is 5.3.
5.1 and 5.3 are new signals for me.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help but --
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: AntennaWeb

That site never was any help for me. I may have to call an "expert" in to look at my setup and tell me what to do. The LCD TV is not Hi-def....if it's not hi-def, then that means I can't get digital stations; right?

Collapse -
Indoor antenna for digital reception
by mg50cnet / January 1, 2009 5:19 AM PST

I just went through this maze in selecting a new HDTV and antenna for over-the-air TV. In Albuquerque, there is already a digital "version" of every channel that I was getting on my old analog TV. I suspect that's true everywhere. After I scanned for channels, I programmed the TV to skip over the analog versions.

The digital signals were iffy until I bought an RCA 1500 antenna. You can find articles and specs for it online but I am really impressed with it. My onscreen guide indicates whether the signal I'm viewing is 480 (stuff I've taped with an old VCR), 720p or 1080p. But just looking at it, there's no question it's digital & hi-def.

If your TV has a built in digital tuner and you've connected things correctly, it's the old antenna.

Collapse -
Would this one work?
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 7:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Here are the specs and description of the TV
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Would this one work?

(seems that I need a set top box converter!)

Built-in HDTV tuner
Add HD-capable antenna to receive over-the-air high-definition broadcasts, where available. Optional set-top box required for high-definition cable or satellite programming.

# Wide (1440 x 900 pixels) resolution
Supports 720p signals for stunning image clarity.
# 16:10 widescreen aspect ratio
Delivers a cinema-style entertainment experience. 3:2 pulldown for accurate reproduction of film-based sources.
# High brightness (250 cd/m

Collapse -
a few things to look at
by givemeaname / January 1, 2009 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: Would this one work?

Check the coaxial cable.. check the tips & everything. I had that problem when I 1st set up my antenna, it had bad shielding.

Check the antenna it self & also it's location.. walk around with it hooked-up see what happens, it may need to be in a diffrent room.

You could be in a dead zone..., your building could be blocking everything... ask your neighbors.

The tuner in the TV could be bad.

Collapse -
Thanks everyone
by Chigal48 / January 1, 2009 4:33 PM PST

I'll get it working one way or another.

Collapse -
Hey, mg50cnet, I'm on Cable One in Rio Rancho.
by NM_Bill / January 1, 2009 8:00 AM PST

Many of us around Albuquerque have a line of sight advantage as the forest of antennas are atop Sandia Peak.

Collapse -
Topography Advantage
by mg50cnet / January 1, 2009 11:38 AM PST

Yes, I realize we have a nice advantage sitting below the transmission towers. But I wanted to reply because the guy with the original question was told that digital signals might not be available yet or that his DVD unit could be the problem.
Hate to see him go down the wrong path...

Collapse -
Unfortunately, our original poster seems very confused.
by NM_Bill / January 2, 2009 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Topography Advantage

I wish he had a neighbor with a basic understanding about these things - who could calm his confusion & describe each factor individually. Our poster is experiencing a lot of stress while confusing various issues.

As a non-techie, he should have paid for the service off delivering the new TV & setting it up, then giving a little session on how to use remote control, etc. Such service, which used to be pretty much standard had been lost in the quest for absolute lowest price.

Collapse -
Indoor antenna for digital reception
by mg50cnet / January 1, 2009 5:26 AM PST

I just went through this maze in selecting a new HDTV and antenna for over-the-air TV. In Albuquerque, there is already a digital "version" of every channel that I was getting on my old analog TV. I suspect that's true everywhere. After I scanned for channels, I programmed the TV to skip over the analog versions.

The digital signals were iffy until I bought an RCA 1500 antenna. You can find articles and specs for it online but I am really impressed with it. My onscreen guide indicates whether the signal I'm viewing is 480 (stuff I've taped with an old VCR), 720p or 1080p. But just looking at it, there's no question it's digital & hi-def.

If your TV has a built in digital tuner and you've connected things correctly, it's the old antenna.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.