PC Hardware forum

General discussion

would these parts be compatible and make for a good system?

Motherboard
Asus K8N nForce3 250 Athlon 64/Sempron Skt754 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free 2nd Day***
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...ductCode=240416

Case & PSU
Antec Life Style SONATA Piano Black 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16811129127

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16819103485

RAM
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16820145440

Taking into account that we want to keep the cost reasonable? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: would these parts be compatible and make for a good system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: would these parts be compatible and make for a good system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I believe you will need a videocard

In reply to: would these parts be compatible and make for a good system?

Didn't see one in your list. If the Mainboard has onboard video you're good to go. If I were buying a new Mainboard I would make sure it supports dual core, and if I were a gamer I would make sure it would support SLI. A good MB choice will be with you for a long time and will be the heart of your system, try to future-proof it.

Collapse -
you WILL need a video card

your mobo does not have integrated graphics, so you will have to buy a dedicated gpu. i would recomend the x600, x700, or 6600 series.

konny

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nevermind, not the x600 or x700, PCIe

In reply to: you WILL need a video card

Collapse -
he can't use the X600 or X700

In reply to: you WILL need a video card

A) it's Socket 754
B) those are both only avliable on PCIE
C) there are no PCIE Socket 754 boards

I would suggest an AGP 6600

but personally, i'd say ditch that motherboard/CPU combo
and get a Socket 939 with an Athlon64 3000+ ($150 at newegg, with a fan) it'll cost about the same, and you can get a PCIE equipped board, which would let you do more

also, the majority of socket 939 boards are dual core compatable, no Socket 754 boards are

Collapse -
we have an ati radeon 9800 graphics card.

In reply to: he can't use the X600 or X700

We have an ati radeon 9800 graphics card, so we were going to reuse it and not buy a new one. Taking that into consideration, what motherboard & cpu would you get. Can we use the old video card in a 939 motherboard? Can you post a link to the motherboard you recommend? Thanks

Collapse -
Yes there is

In reply to: he can't use the X600 or X700

There are many MOBOS supporting socket 754 and PCI-Express

Collapse -
e Socket 754

754 socket will not support dual channel DDR. You need to get a socket 939 MB and processor. John

Collapse -
power supply might be lacking...

Your 64bit cpu probably draw over 100 watts by itself. Add hard drives, usb devices, high powered graphics card and the like and you might have more draw then the power supply can give. Check the specs on your parts. Add it up and increase by 20% (for all that new stuff you don't already have). Ultra has a 500w for $40 and it has modular cabling that looks rather nice..if I may say so myself.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Ultra PSU tested poorly...

In reply to: power supply might be lacking...

...in one test I read, Antec or PC Power & Cooling make better PSU's. The modular connectors, while nice, do present another current loss & failure point.

Also, the heavier the PSU, the beefier the components.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.