HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

would these 2 sticks of ram work together??

by cv4stm / October 9, 2005 11:48 PM PDT

Hi, right now I have this RAM in my comp:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10047706&catid=10486
(Kingston 512 MB PC3200 RAM)

now, if I put this in:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10063348&catid=10486&logon=&langid=EN
(Azen 1 GB PC3200 RAM)

would those 2 work together right since they are both PC3200 even though they are different brands??

Also, what would be better. The 1.5 GB with 1 GB of the no-name Azen RAM or 1 GB of Kingston ram??

please help.:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: would these 2 sticks of ram work together??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: would these 2 sticks of ram work together??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Neither stick's info gives
by Ray Harinec / October 9, 2005 11:57 PM PDT

the CAS/CL. They should work if they are both the same CAS/CL or you are set to "By SPD" in the BIOS, or you have set the CAS/CL to the slower of the two [the higher number].

Collapse -
My reply was based on the
by Ray Harinec / October 9, 2005 11:58 PM PDT

possibly bad assumption that you were not going to use them in Dual Channel memory mode.

Collapse -
ok, some more info,
by cv4stm / October 10, 2005 11:36 AM PDT

I currently have:

-Athlon XP 2200+
-Geforce 5200 Ultra
-512 MB PC3200 RAM (non dual channel)

In the near future, I will have:

-Athlon 64 3200+
-Geforce 6600GT in SLi or 6800 GT
-1.5 GB of PC 3200 RAM (without wat I am buying)

so, I am asking should I buy a 1 GB stick of on name brand and have 2.5 GB of RAM or go with a Kingston 512 MB RAM and have 2 GB of good quality RAM?

Collapse -
If the new system is a socket 939
by Ray Harinec / October 10, 2005 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: ok, some more info,

type, it will support Dual Channel, and using dual channel is the only way to supply the total memory bandwidth that the CPU can handle.

Thus for that I would buy so called "matched" pairs. Most memory mfrs sell pairs for a fwew bucks less than if you buy two of the same model sticks separately.

IMHO, not using Dual Channel is unwise when it is available.

Collapse -
Also, even the big name memory mfr's
by Ray Harinec / October 10, 2005 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: ok, some more info,

make various grades of memory. The value models are usually CAS 3, sometimes CAS 2.5, and the higher priced may be 2.0 or 1.5.

Just like Michelin tires, they make tires that sell cheap and wearout just as fast as any other crappy tire.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.