Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Would switching to Google DSN ..............

by Dango517 / December 3, 2009 12:08 PM PST

improve my connection?

I'm with AT&T DSL. Would switch to Google DSN effect my Firewall and security software? Would AT&T (or another ISP) have a problem with users switching to it?

Is anyone using this DNS service?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would switching to Google DSN ..............
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would switching to Google DSN ..............
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going with possibly yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 10:53 PM PST

Given what a DNS does (not going to detail that here) it is likely to go either way in fixing a problem or creating a problem.

For example, many ISP's have their DNS respond to pop3.email.com for the email they offer you. Google and OPENDNS would not honor such use.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank You
by Dango517 / December 3, 2009 11:23 PM PST
Collapse -
Starbucks problem
by timspear / December 11, 2009 7:49 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You

I've been trying the google dsn - all fine but it doesn't work with the free wifi in starbucks uk which is a deal breaker for me

Collapse -
If you would let use know if ................
by Dango517 / December 11, 2009 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Starbucks problem

you have problem converting it back to your ISP DSN settings. Any reaction from your ISP? Does it seem faster or more reliable?

Collapse -
How do I get DNS service?
by Chigal48 / January 16, 2010 9:05 AM PST

Can I get it with ATT DSL? or through ATT?
If not, how do I get it through Goog?

Collapse -
It's work but ....................
by Dango517 / December 16, 2009 3:44 AM PST

I use Yahoo buttons became a bit wonky. New ones showed up after the configuration. Those I have, lead to other places. Happy It is over-all faster. Goggle DSN Will require some testing and time before I'd recommend it at this point.

The installation was fairly easy but I needed to deviate from the instructions in Windows 7. The instructions given were for Vista. I ended up with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in "use the following DSN server address" like this, 8.8.8.8 in preferred and 8.8.4.4 in alternate.

Running well so far. 12/16/2009

Collapse -
(NT) It''s working* LOL
by Dango517 / December 16, 2009 3:45 AM PST
Collapse -
ISP = Racketeering & Restraint of Trade
by rjpsell / December 31, 2009 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: It''s working* LOL

The US is 29th in download speed & 30th in the world for upload. US consumers are getting soaked by ISP companies.
Check this chart
http://www.speedtest.net/global.php

The Japanese pay an average of $20.00 per month for service which is 3 times faster.

I think Al Gore needs to write "An Inconvenient Waste of Time"

Collapse -
The DSN service is still working fairly well
by Dango517 / December 31, 2009 10:56 AM PST

an occasional link crash now and again.

Amazing, deregulating the phones has kept the cost of phone service in check for three decades now. The only thing Raygun did right, all the rest has bitten us in the hind end. He was the one how suspended regulation of the economy, stopped the advance of alternative fuels and other sources of energy and allowed the middle east to continue to control petroleum, stopped the air traffic controls strike that has forced working class people into near poverty and has frozen wages, also for nearly three decades while prices have continued to rise, etc.,etc.,etc.. So what does Al Gore have to do with it at all? In fact I'm expecting a large part of any energy conservation program to go to improved computer services and not alternative energy. That will be the scam of the next decade. What ever happened to that boondoggle 'Star Wars" anyway?

Collapse -
After a month of using it
by Dango517 / January 10, 2010 4:48 PM PST

it has progressively slowed down and become more unreliable. with frequent hangs, slow downs and other problems. I have reverted back to the standard AT&T DSN service, unfortunately, with obvious speed improvements and few problems.

Last word ........... not ready for prime time, but maybe somewhere down the road who knows, maybe. Does that seem vague? LOL The subtleties of the English language, amazing!

Collapse -
What is DSN and how is it different than DSL?
by Chigal48 / January 16, 2010 8:36 AM PST

I have ATT DSL (Vista O/S) and it is so slowww....like molasses connecting to the web sites. I use tab navigation, doesn't matter what browser, I've used them all....the speed to get to the next screen is just exhausting to watch the globe go round and round and round.

I would do anything to get faster speed.
Once I'm at the site, it's fine....it's getting to the website. Enter the URL and press enter and it takes forever to connect.

Collapse -
Dyslexic
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 8:40 AM PST

Dyslexic acronyms cloud this discussion.

Try swapping DSN for DNS and google DNS for details.

OK, ready? Try http://www.opendns.org

I use the free one.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob I'll try it out
by Dango517 / January 16, 2010 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Dyslexic

I'm getting a recurring DSN error when logging on to Second Life. When it occurs I have to reset the modem to repair it which is a big hassle. Looking for a work around for this problem. Yep, might be my IP or SL. I'm Always looking for new ways to improve my PC as you might already know. :D)

Collapse -
Keep it clean
by Dango517 / January 16, 2010 9:50 AM PST

clean out the old files in the browser. In IE8 the path is ....tools > Internet options > then browsing history, click the delete button, now choose what you want to delete.

Other things that might help:

Find a gadget/widget/meter to put on your desktop to monitor your connection.

If your looses connectivity contact your ISP and complain. Expect a broken connection when connected to the Internet but not with audio video or gaming.

Make sure your Ethernet adapted driver is up to date.

Disconnect all wires concerning your connection, wait 30 seconds then plug them back in again, including transformers. Wires should snugly fit into ports.

Restart your modem

A wired connection is more reliable then a wireless one, switch to a wired connection if possible. ( this ones optional)

You can check your connection speed here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Over all system improvement/maintenance you need to do:

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx

Note: Skip their ready boost recommendation, it sucks.

Also:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Optimize-Windows-Vista-for-better-performance

Yes, do most of these. You did say you wanted a faster connection, well that will require some of your time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?