Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Would overclocking be worth it?

Hello all, I am a complete newbie to overclocking but have a huge love for computers and the more I get to pick apart and put back together the happier I am!

I have a Toshiba Qosmio GX/G8H, the bigbutt gamer laptop model:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 at 2.4 GHz
4GB RAM (running on 64-bit Win7)

MiRanch has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would overclocking be worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would overclocking be worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by MiRanch

Collapse -
NOOOOOOOO!

In reply to: Would overclocking be worth it?

NOOOOOOOOOOO! No! No! No! No! No! And did I mention No?! If I didn't already say No! then let me take this opportunity to say NO!

Where I work, we've had a huge number of those (probably a slightly newer model) come in for all kinds of heat related issues. They were just a massive headache to deal with on pretty much every single front.

And on laptops in general, with very little space for the heat generated by the CPU to go, you do NOT want to be creating MORE heat. Most laptop makers will go with the absolute bare minimum they can on things like fans, so they can cram in more ports or a better video card or something else.

Consider yourself lucky the thing isn't a smoking pile of molten plastic and silicon already, and be happy with that. And I'm only mostly joking with that comment. There have been units in the past where the idiot vendor tried to stuff a desktop CPU into a laptop, and it created so much heat it literally melted the plastic of the case. I want to say it was HP, but I can't remember for sure.

Collapse -
Oh no!

In reply to: NOOOOOOOO!

Ouch, ouch! Haha! Well very much thank you (thank you both) for honest answers! I must say I'm a little excited to hear that you've actually seen this model, like the first post says, there's not a lot to find about it (most people have the red one for gaming or smaller models this one doesn't seem to have been sold outside of Japan). Perhaps you know the trick to dissemble the machine, I never managed to get the top fully off which makes the, while highly loved and appreciated, speakers impossible to clean.

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: Oh no!

Sorry, while I did do some Toshiba stuff for a time, I'm the Apple guy where I work, and never took one of those apart. I was just around to witness some of the difficulties associated with it. Mostly they were the big *** red ones, where the brilliant engineers (who admittedly were probably hamstrung by someone in marketing deciding that two video cards would be a good idea) sandwiched two high end video cards together. The fact that they didn't catch on fire still amazes me. We even had someone from Toshiba come in to look at some of the units.

Anyway, they're all going to be based off the same basic design, it's just a matter of feature set. So if the big red ones were a nightmare, then the rest aren't likely much better. Yours has worked this long, count yourself quite a bit more fortunate than a lot of people.

If you can fit more RAM in the thing, that'd probably give you a marginal boost, but beyond that I wouldn't sink any money into the thing. Just put it into a slush fund for a new laptop down the road. You go screwing with the CPU, and I can almost guarantee you'll regret it. You'll also likely end up having to buy a new laptop a lot sooner than you would have liked.

Collapse -
Got it..

In reply to: Sorry

The x300 (the red one) is smaller than mine but has double the specs so no wonder it overheats. My laptop was really close to a desktop when I bought it so it was just fantastic but now I find it impossible to replace since most laptops are crap.. they're too small, too slow and the sound is just awful. Whatever I get feels like a downgrade Sad

Collapse -
Answer
Overclocking a laptop

While overclocking may have attractive outcomes, it is not advised on a laptop. Depending on the approach, it may not even be possible. Since overclocking to any appreciable degree usually causes more heat from the hardware, laptops are not well suited for dissipating the extra heat. Also, there is not allot of information available for that model, making it even more complicated to investigate the possibilities.

Collapse -
Very limited indeed

In reply to: Overclocking a laptop

Yes the information is very limited, it's kind of annoying as the owner, I have to call the support if I want to ask something. There's some info about similar models but they still differ from each other.

Collapse -
Answer
We've discussed this. (We, not you!)

Read 7723-6122_102-510824.html
where we went over such a
request and in the end,
they found what was dogging
the machine and now it's
much better.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: We've discussed this. (We, not you!)

Ah thanks for the link.
I'll check it out. No matter what I won't be doing anything before I've done my research.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.