Windows Vista forum

General discussion

would like to know

if I ran the defrag. and the avg virus scanner at the same time on the computer just before I go to bed is this hard on the computer or do I have to do one then the other like I have been doing? Thanks sham1313

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: would like to know
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: would like to know
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a good idea

In reply to: would like to know

That's not a good idea, and not so much because it's hard on the system, but because the two programs can "fight" over access to a specific file. Each one is going to want exclusive access to the file it's working on at the moment, and so if they ever want to access the same file, there could be problems. Nothing catastrophic mind, just some files may not be scanned/defraged.

While on the subject, it should be noted that defragmenting is really unnecessary. It will offer minimal, if any, performance improvements and those will be fleeting in nature. Since it has no diagnostic functions whatsoever, it really is a tool that's time has past.

Collapse -
OK thanks!!

In reply to: Not a good idea

you say defrag is the tool of the past. not sure why they put it on new computer's. I had not doen it in the past about running them at the same time. I try to after my husband get off the computer in the evening to always defrag and check for virus then some one els in a forum help me make sure I got rid of a nasty virus that my avg vurus scanner was having trouble with. they had me download a malwarebytes'Anti-Malware to use between that and my paid for version of avg I got rid if it all together. so tonight I well do the Malwarebytes then the virus protector. thanks for your time. sham1313

Collapse -
Daily scans are not necessary...

In reply to: OK thanks!!

While I agree with Jimmy that defragging is of much less significance now than it was ten years ago, I argue it is still beneficial if done only as needed. Under normal use you should never need to defrag your hard drive more than once a month, if that, and any more than that is generally just putting extra wear and tear on your hard drive while consuming system resources unnecessarily. That's one reason there is an analysis option available in most defragmenters, letting you find out if defragging would actually be beneficial. (The degree of benefit is continually debated.)

As to malware protection, the real-time components are sufficient on a day-to-day basis, so unless you or another user is engaging in risky activities you can reduce the frequency of a full system scan to a weekly chore.

John

Collapse -
ok I understand but

In reply to: Daily scans are not necessary...

I have done some searching for preban Ivory for sale and 2 out of 5 times I have had to get rid of bad virus. the last one even my paid version of of avg virus scanner did not catch it and handel it like it has always done before. I had the free avg for years on my old one and it stop every virus before it got started. I figured the paid version would do the same for this new computer under a year old. so I ask the page for help and was told I should download Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware and it did the trick along with the avg. I have only been doing computer for under a year again. there was about 4 years I did not do computer and a lot has change in that time. it is like starting school for the 1st time. I did not understand vista at all when I started and it took a while with a lot of help to understand it. I had thought it was running in windows 95 when I saw the only objection was 95 under proberties and it took be awhile to understand it was running in windows vista that I could use as low as windows 95 programs in it. as you see I have a lot to learn.
thanks sham1313

Collapse -
Thank you!!!

In reply to: ok I understand but

I forgot to say thank you for your help!!!
thanks sham1313

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.