PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Would like to have views on these MoBos...

by MartyLK / March 2, 2007 3:07 AM PST

I'm planning a PC build around a Core 2 Duo and would like have ppls views and experiences as well as recommendations of the motherboards I've listed below.

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130081

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188010

Thank you for taking the time to help me be better informed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would like to have views on these MoBos...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would like to have views on these MoBos...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why is it the big price difference..
by ahtoi / March 2, 2007 6:36 AM PST

detween Asus and Evga? I'll take Asus.

Collapse -
That's what I'm studying. Why should I pay the extra cost...
by MartyLK / March 2, 2007 7:01 AM PST

The EVGA board has the latest nVidia chipset and to my current understanding EVGA boards are much easier to flash; more user friendly. The MSI board supposedly has the best of the audio chipsets and has some CMOS convenience features. The Asus is, well...Asus. Generally reliable and Asus is all I've ever used but some articles and user reviews laud the EVGA and particular MSI boards.

I'm kind of cautious with the 680i chipset of the EVGA board because I've been reading some rather unsettling stories of troubles with this latest nVidia chipset yet this particular board has garnered consumer choice awards at some etailers. Not to mention the user friendly and over-clocking potential. According to some, EVGA boards are designed around and for tweaking and fiddling with. It is getting some serious praise.

Tom's Hardware definitely likes the MSI for features and usability. Of note is a CMOS button on the board that can be pressed to reset any skewed over-clocking attempts rather than removing a battery and fiddling with jumpers.

One of these three boards is going to find its way into my possession eventually. Just figuring which one is worthy; which one has the highest value/feature/reliability ratio depends on who all helps me understand.

Collapse -
Agree with Bob....check out buyer comments on NEWEGG
by VAPCMD / March 3, 2007 12:50 AM PST

for detailed info these 3 products.

Also....you didn't indicate the use or whether you plan to overclock or not. My first goal is reliability and stability so overclocking features, SLi and RAID are very very low on my MB eval criteria. EVGA maybe good but a little too new on the MB scene for my $$.

Got to be careful with the RAM also...some of these MBs are real real picky about RAM.

Let us know how it works.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Newegg is not only the leading eTailer, and rightly so...
by MartyLK / March 5, 2007 4:19 AM PST

but is also a great resource for user opinions and reviews. Whenever I make a large purchase such as a MoBo or CPU, etc I always check the ratings and reviews there.

I plan to fiddle with it a little for enjoyment. So I will probably try to do some overclocking.

EVGA is getting so great reviews at Newegg and other places. And I'm finding out that the MSI board seems, according to forums, to be very finicky about memory. But it is getting some great reviews also and is inexpensive for the features it has. Besides, I'm wanting to know how green the grass is on the other side....:) There's just something about exploring other brands that is applealing. As I mentioned Asus is all I've ever used in MoBos. It's kinda like owning one particular brand of vehicle most of your life and then getting into a different brand, seeing how brand B does things differently from brand A.

Collapse -
If I know nothing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 8:02 AM PST

I would head to newegg.com and see what feedback there is on each model.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!