Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

Would it be okay to use a 1080p display on this laptop?

by NoNamesAvailableWow / January 21, 2018 6:45 AM PST

Hello!

I'm looking to purchase a laptop (ACER ASPIRE A515-51G) and it seems quite suitable for me as I will be using it for school and home use. I am looking to buy this as my other laptop is no longer suitable anymore (broken) I was able to retrieve some parts off my old laptop hdd, ram etc and this including a 1080p display. I have checked to see if the pins are the same for both displays and laptops and they match. They are both the correct size (15.6") and have the same amount of pins (30)

I'm just wondering if it would be okay to replace the current screen (768p) with another screen which, if i haven't missed anything, is the same but the result is 1080p instread.

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64 Bits
Processor: Intel® Core™ 8th Gen Coffee Lake i5-8250U 1.6~3.4 GHz; Quad-core 8 Threads
Memory: 8GB DDR4 (4GB onboard + 4GB upgrade-able)
Storage: 1 TB hard drive 2.5" SATA - Can be replaced with SSD
Screen: 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) resolution ComfyView
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 aka GTX1030 2 GB GDDR5 Dedicated graphics memory - Equivalent with GTX960M
Connectivity: 802.11ac wireless LAN Gigabit LAN
Audio & Video: 1280 x 720 webcam digital microphone Two speakers
Ports & Connectors:
- 1x USB 3.0
- 2x USB 2.0
- Network (RJ-45)
- HDMI Output
- 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C
Input Devices: TouchPad
Battery: 4-cell 3220 mAh Li-Polymer
Battery Life: 7 hours
Adapter: 65 W

Thank you in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would it be okay to use a 1080p display on this laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would it be okay to use a 1080p display on this laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Nope.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2018 9:01 AM PST

"which, if i haven't missed anything, is the same but the result is 1080p"

Windows, when you mirror is the same resolution. If you want the same screen, then nope.
I have always enjoyed the more common second screen but your goal of both being the same means nope.

Collapse -
Confused
by NoNamesAvailableWow / January 21, 2018 3:54 PM PST
In reply to: Nope.
Collapse -
You can do like I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2018 4:05 PM PST
In reply to: Confused

But you wrote otherwise which is nope.

Collapse -
Answer
Laptops are designed piece by piece.
by orlbuckeye / January 22, 2018 5:43 AM PST

They all fit together. Some laptops are designed to allow multiple options but most aren't. The ones that allow multiple options will sell both 1080 and 768 options on those specifics models. Laptops are way more proprietary than desktops. There isn't even a standard for motherboards.

Collapse -
Wow
by NoNamesAvailableWow / January 22, 2018 6:01 AM PST

Wow, I had no idea laptops were quite fussy. I thought it would be more like a PC. I did manage to find a model that's called Acer Aspire A515-51G-546Y that is 1080p, oddly at just below the other laptops price (different website)

I'm just checking with the website to see that it is indeed 1080p.

Also just a follow up question. Say I did end up going with a laptop that has a 768p display and I tried the 1080p display, would it damage the laptop in anyway or would it just reject the screen and start working again once I connect the old screen again?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Collapse -
Should not damage
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2018 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: Wow

But as long as you insist on a MIRROR of the laptop display then the two displays have to be identical in pixels, etc.

Why isn't it good enough to extend the desktop and make your choice of which is the primary display?

Collapse -
?
by NoNamesAvailableWow / January 22, 2018 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Should not damage

Ok thank you. Also, what do you mean by mirroring the display? I would generally just hook it up to my monitor and not worry about the resolution of the actual screen, but because I will be mostly using it for school I'm unable to do so.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!