Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Would it be better if Apple put up their own 3G radio towers

by haseo240 / June 14, 2009 6:35 PM PDT

I was reading the iPhone OS 3 revisited and the idea hit me that things might be better if Apple was its own carrier. I think many would agree that the iPhone isn't as excellent as it could be because of AT&T.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would it be better if Apple put up their own 3G radio towers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would it be better if Apple put up their own 3G radio towers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't you think they're a bit too small

to fully accomplish such a feat? Think of what's involved in doing such. Acquire space, build, deal with FCC, manage infrastructure and service, etc. This would be similar to an auto manufacturer whose vehicles were developed to run best on a certain blend of fuel that they'd have to make and distribute by themselves. It's just a matter of money. How much would you be willing to pay for the tweak?

Collapse -
Even the big guys share towers and infrastructure ...
by Bill Osler / June 14, 2009 8:41 PM PDT

I haven't seen hard data but I suspect that none of the cell carriers have their own towers in all markets. There's a lot of sharing going on.

Collapse -
And if you think Apple products are expensive now...
by Josh K / June 15, 2009 4:34 AM PDT

...imagine the cost of all those proprietary towers being added to your bill every month.

Collapse -
The easiest answer on the surface

....... would be to allow the owners their choice of ISP.

I suspect that Apple did a lot of research beforehand. (Maybe they have a contract with AT&T for at least a while).

Also, I don't think that all wireless ISPs could provide the coverage that AT&T does in both internet and phone.

I do know that at least one of the widely used and advertised wireless providers cannot be used in Fairbanks, Alaska. AT&T also works overseas.

Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I'm probably a pretty typical example...
by Josh K / June 15, 2009 6:32 AM PDT

...of a Verizon customer who is not willing to go to a less desirable provider in order to get an iPhone. If Apple hadn't gone into that exclusive contract, I'd be all over it.

AT&T is not likely to let that contract go easily either; it's done wonders for their wireless business, which was suffering before they made this deal.

Collapse -
Does Verizon have a great smart phone?
by rj5620 / June 20, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

Well, I was on Verizon and drank the coolaid and have a 2G iPhone. AT&T coverage is marginal and I have put up with it for two years. I decided to get the Palm Pre and Sprint coverage is equally poor. I am going to probably return to Verizon if I can find a "decent" smartphone. Everyone around here has Verizon, but I just can't imagine returning to a Motorola Q type device again. I am hoping in the near future the Tour or Atlas appears. The phones with the Webkit browsers are what I want. I have been reading hundreds of posts since I got the Pre on June 6, and if you step back and evaluate all of those folks complaining about the Pre or for that matter the iPhone 3G, 3Gs, it all comes down to poor signal strength at work or home. If Verizon has the best signal then that is the carrier to get. Sorry for this long rant, but I am going crazy trying to get a cool phone, BUT with excellent signal strength.

Collapse -
Great is subjective ...
by Bill Osler / June 20, 2009 11:30 PM PDT

What you consider 'Great' depends on what you want to do. I'm new to Verizon (I've been on Alltel for many years but they merged with Verizon) and I'm thinking about a Smart Phone that would combine the functions of my Palm TX and my cell phone. Right now I'm looking at a Blackberry Storm but I may decide to wait for the Blackberry Tour. I don't know enough about the Atlas to have an opinion. My friends who use Blackberry products (mostly Curve or Pearl) have all been happy with them.

Based on what I know, the Blackberry would be a good phone for me. It's not perfect, it won't run 100% of the programs on my Palm and it doesn't have some of the 'cool' apps that are available on an iPhone. OTOH Verizon should have good cell coverage in my area and I can't beat the cost for the service because it's heavily discounted through my employer. An iPhone would also work for me IF I could get comparable signal strength where I live and IF I got a great price for the service. Right now there's no comparison in either category.

Based on my experience with Palm products thus far I would not be enthusiastic about buying one. I'm on my 2nd TX. Both have failed in exactly the same way and the customer 'service' stinks. The only reason I bought a 2nd TX was the fact that some of the programs I use frequently were not available on smart phones until fairly recently. The Pre has compatibility problems with the programs I use. Now that most of the programs I use ARE available on a non-Palm product it is time to change.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?