Laptops forum

General discussion

would any laptop be compatible with windows vista?

by don13ger / November 5, 2005 1:39 PM PST

im considering buying a laptop now, but would it be compatible for a windows vista upgrade?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: would any laptop be compatible with windows vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: would any laptop be compatible with windows vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recently discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 10:59 PM PST

The truthful answer was hard for most to accept. If your laptop maker won't assure you, then it's accepted you may or may not have vista on the laptop.

If we look at makers, Sony would be one make that definitely will not assure upgrades.

Bob

Collapse -
that would definately be bad news..
by don13ger / November 7, 2005 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: Recently discussed.

im thinking of waiting a little bit longer..when do you think vista will really be out on the market?

Collapse -
What is needed that I would wait?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 11:13 AM PST

Just asking.

Bob

Collapse -
i feel youre implying i shouldnt wait...
by don13ger / November 7, 2005 8:12 PM PST

but why? im not really an expert bout laptops...

Collapse -
Let me rephrase.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 8:41 PM PST

What is in Vista that you would wait for it?

Bob

Collapse -
the 64 bit upgrade...
by don13ger / November 7, 2005 10:11 PM PST
In reply to: Let me rephrase.

but is the upgrade really that significant?

Collapse -
XP64 is already here and now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: the 64 bit upgrade...

No need to wait for that feature. But finding a laptop maker that has all there drivers is sometimes too much work. At least there are firewalls and antivirus good for XP-64.

Let me comment I've found 64-bit to pay off handsomely in 2 areas. There may be more but for now it's Video Rendering and Database Servers.

Both of these applications are best on desktops since we can fit faster drives and parts suitable to such a task. A laptop is a compromise in which the OS 64-bittiness may or may not pay off.

Bob

Collapse -
video rendering is of use for me...
by don13ger / November 8, 2005 12:05 PM PST

i edit home videos...
so what youre trying to say is that it 64bit isnt really necessary for laptops?
maybe i need to read somemore.. i dont really know much bout it..

Collapse -
Read it again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2005 8:29 PM PST

I wrote it doesn't pay off as well. What do I have?

A r3000 AMD 64 powered laptop.

Bob

Collapse -
would you recommend...
by don13ger / November 8, 2005 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: Read it again.

the Sony VAIO VGN-TX670P?
its the editors choice...
what do you think personally?

Collapse -
Wrong person to ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2005 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: would you recommend...

I have a big ax to grind with Sony over dozens of office laptops that would not run for over 4 hours. They were not Pentium 4 units that I already know the issue with.

-> If you want a maker that has shown ZERO INTEREST in helping owners change to another OS you picked the one.

Beside, the recent Sony Music ROOTKIT shows that Sony is not to be trusted.

Bob

Collapse -
you kinda discouraged me with..
by don13ger / November 9, 2005 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: Wrong person to ask.

...the vaio...
so what model and brand do you suggest?

Collapse -
would any laptop be compatible with windows vista?
by Toshiaki / November 8, 2005 1:54 PM PST

you could run winvi normally using any graphics card that is equivilant or better than: ati radeon 9700 or nvidia geforce fx. winvi needs a good graphics card to run aero glass. minimum of 512mb ram needed to run winvi, and ONLY winvi. launching other programs like wmp, iTunes, msIE, adobe ps, or games would be crawling slow.

Collapse -
Here's a google about SONY'S ROOTKIT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2005 7:50 PM PST
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SONY+ROOTKIT

I'm waiting to the other shoe to drop and we find their other products with such features.

You asked what machines I reccomend. I rarely do that, but will note the office has far too many Dells. After that we had HP/Compaqs and then a smattering of other names.

I bagged a Compaq r3000 AMD 64 unit which I like. The newer models weigh less and are good values.

Cheers,

Bob
Collapse -
that sony root kit even discouraged me some more...
by don13ger / November 10, 2005 9:01 PM PST

im getting something else now.. i will read on and see what comes to my desire..will let you know soon and ask what you think about it..
thanks bob...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.