PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Worthwhile to upgrade RAM from 768mg > 1gb?

by walkman666 / January 19, 2007 4:38 AM PST

Hi, I have a 4 year old Dell Dimension 4550 PC desktop. The PC came with 256mg RAM, and I added 512mg RAM to it 3 years ago. I don't want to toss this PC, but it's running a tad sluggish.

Would increasing the current 768mg RAM to 1gb RAM (max it can take=1gb RAM) would make an appreciable difference? The cost would be about $75 (if I bought through Dell).

$ is not the issue, but I also don't want to waste my time if consensus says "the PC is too old for the additional RAM to make a difference." I use the PC for web-browsing, email, MS Office, and the kids sometimes play not-so-intense web-based games.

thanks. - walkman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Worthwhile to upgrade RAM from 768mg > 1gb?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Worthwhile to upgrade RAM from 768mg > 1gb?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
worthwhile
by jconner / January 19, 2007 6:49 AM PST

Before you upgrade your memory look at your swap space or virtual memory. right click on My Computer / System properties/ Advanced / Performance / settings. This is how much space on the disk (usually C) you have allowed for big memory applications or multi-tasking when you launch a bunch of programs to have for swapping and saving information. If you've filled up the C drive and that space has decreased or has never been increased it might be why you've gotten sluggish.

Then I would say look to other sources for that older memory, it'll probably be cheaper elsewhere including used off e-bay and will answer your question.

Memory is the best performance enchancer most of the time. Past that some of these $399 systems being offered now sure perform better than older systems, with smaller amounts of memory but faster bus speeds, CPU's and graphics.

Collapse -
Save your dough no appreciable change 768-1024 in
by VAPCMD / January 19, 2007 11:31 AM PST

light of use.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
It can't hurt
by Willy / January 19, 2007 12:15 PM PST

If you're running XP OS, 1gb of ram is the most practical and useful amount of ram to have. In that light though don't expect globs of improvement it simply will be better overall. You can however try to do the usual tweeking and such in order that the system itself can best run. That usually means, cleaning of excess or unwanted files or pgms.. and clean and defrag the HD. Use a registry cleaner. I'm sure you can find outside of Dell, other ram sources for your model at less cost and again in that light it won't hurt to have 1gb of ram.

If you're running WinMe, having 768mb of ram isn't that good as 512mb is best for overall operation, but you didn't mention what OS you had. is say that as 512mb was best because WinME had a glitch of a ram issue and it never was resolved, if I recall right even with the small fix. But no WinMe, don't worry.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!