TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Worth it paying almost 200 for top notch HDMI cables?

Is it worth shelling out almost 200 dollars for top notch monster HDMI cables or would settling for cables for half the price do the same trick?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Worth it paying almost 200 for top notch HDMI cables?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Worth it paying almost 200 for top notch HDMI cables?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not ask for a demo in the shop.

In reply to: Worth it paying almost 200 for top notch HDMI cables?

If you can't see the difference, it's certainly not worth the money (for you). If you can see the difference, it's up for you decide if the difference you see is worth USD 100.

Kees

Collapse -
I got a very good Phillips HDMI cable for $23 at Sam's Club!

In reply to: Why not ask for a demo in the shop.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that now one could tell the difference in picture quality between the Phillips cable and one of those over priced Mon$tor cables. John

Collapse -
Dollars and doughnuts

In reply to: I got a very good Phillips HDMI cable for $23 at Sam's Club!

Used to be a good comparison, but have you seen the price of doughnuts? I have Phillips HDMI, DVI and DVI to HDMI cables from Sam's at under 30 dollars each and the pictures could not be any better. I also have their Component and Fiberoptic cables. Nice, well made, heavy duty cables and well worth the price. Lots of things to spend that extra money on that will really make a difference.

Collapse -
to be honest

In reply to: Worth it paying almost 200 for top notch HDMI cables?

HELL no (unless you need something thats over 25feet...then at that point...just find a cable that can actually give you a picture cause some lower end ones can't).

we put out new displays all the time with HD content hooked up through hdmi. i find that monster cables are wayyyyy too loose and i can never get a good snug fit on it. the AR cables (cheapest hdmi cables that bby sells) works the best imho cause it actually stays in the player/tv and its a snug fit. monster really annoys me greatly.

now from a sales point of view...if you come in only asking for monster...i WILL milk you dry just because that is my job. if i had a heart, i would not be in retail...i'd work in a hospital. >:)

Collapse -
I guess I got hosed

In reply to: to be honest

I purchased the 150 dollar monster THX component video cables a few months ago, I guess I got hosed on that deal. That was all my doing, there was no sales person that pushed me into it. Now that I have the knowledge I won't be making that mistake again.

Collapse -
MONSTER CABLE FUNNY STORY

In reply to: I guess I got hosed

Saw a story about this family installing a nice home theater system. The family was taken to the president of moster cables home.I have never seen such a huge beautiful home in my life period. So when you buy those rip off cables at least you know where there profit goes Same thing about Bose speakers those folks must be rolling in cash thanks to folks believing all there crap stewqeeeeeeeeeeee

Collapse -
HDMI Cable Ripoff

In reply to: MONSTER CABLE FUNNY STORY

HDMI cables are grossly overpriced,it's a BS marketing ploy that make people believe that because HDTV is expensive,periperals like cables
should be as well. Got to www.firefold.com ,and get all the HDMI or any other cable for that matter, at a real great price. I did. Long live the internet!!! Anyone who goes here ,please write back ,and tell us about how much you've saved.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.