HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Worth getting an original iMac to try the Apple experience?

by MicahW / July 22, 2005 2:18 AM PDT

I am curious about Macs but I don?t want to shell out big bucks to try them out. I know there is the Mac mini, but I think $500 is still pretty steep. I see on Ebay there are several older 400-700MHz G3 iMacs in the $125-250 range and they claim that these systems can run OS X - Panther or Tiger. Of course I realize that these machines will be much slower than the new G5 rockets. This price range is more in line with what I?m willing to spend but would like the advice of some Mac experts. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Worth getting an original iMac to try the Apple experience?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Worth getting an original iMac to try the Apple experience?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iMac
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 5:03 AM PDT

If you want to go this route then I suggest that you buy one of the Slot Loading iMacs running from 500Mhz to 700Mhz. Obviously the higher the number the faster the machine. Aim high if possible. All these machines have a G3 processor and, as long as they have greater than 128MB of RAM, will run Panther easily and Tiger quite acceptably. Tiger requires more RAM.
HD space is sometimes a problem on earlier machines but they all come with at least 10Gb and up to 60Gb. However, a regular IDE Hard Drive of a much larger capacity can be installed in the iMac.
The iMac also takes regular PC133 SDRAM sticks in two slots.
I have Tiger running on a 600Mhz SL iMac so it can be done.
Do remember though, it will not be the screaming demon like a G5 or even a whirling dervish like a G4. That said, it will not be a limp along Leslie, either
Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
How much Ram can it take?
by MicahW / July 22, 2005 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: iMac

I am happy to hear that these older iMacs can do this! It's ok with me that the G3 will be much slower, I expected that, I just wasn't sure the folks on Ebay were being straight or if they were just trying to unload a worthless dust collector. It?s also great news that they can take Ram that is easily available! Of course you can boost the performance of any machine by maxing out the Ram. How much can your 600MHz iMac handle?

Collapse -
mrmacfixit I found the answer! You were a big help THANKS!
by MicahW / July 22, 2005 12:07 PM PDT

I know you are busy. I found the answer to my Ram question - these older iMacs can handle 1GB of Ram! That's pretty darn respectable, I think an older iMac just might be the ticket for me. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks and good luck
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 12:30 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.